View Full Version : PHP - new acronym? (Don't fret, nothing innovative here...)

stefanoperfili
05-23-2007, 05:54 PM
I propose a redefinition of the PHP acronym: Pre-Hypertext Processor.

Why would this not work? (It's much easier than trying to explain to people what a recursive acronym is.) I realise that the renaming to "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" came after long discussions, considerations and deliberations over all possibilities...

...and I still don't like that the elusive first P has no real meaning! *looks to the horizon* "One day, I'll find you..."

Karen S. Garvin
05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Maybe they were afraid that if they allowed HPP as an acronym, people would make fun of the PP part (say it outloud and you'll see ;) ).

croatiankid
05-24-2007, 08:24 PM
That actually makes sense.

oracleguy
05-24-2007, 09:50 PM
I propose a redefinition of the PHP acronym: Pre-Hypertext Processor.

That doesn't make sense. What is pre-hypertext? Hypertext pre-processor makes more sense.

rmedek
05-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Besides, a little nerd research shows that PHP originally stood for "Personal Home Page" so "PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor" makes perfect sense.

JamieR
05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
I've always thought it was Pre-Hypertext Preprocesser, well I did until a few months ago! It does make sense I guess.

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
HPP...yeah you know me! Hmm decent rap song oh wait that was OPP.

ghell
05-25-2007, 10:26 PM
What is the point in the "PHP" part of "PHP: Hypertext Processor" anyway? It doesn't add anything. Did they just stick it in there to keep the acronym from personal home page or was it to make the file extension 8dot3 or something? IMO it would have made more sense to have either used the P for something meaningful or just ditched it.. but then I suppose it would be just HP ;)

stefanoperfili
06-05-2007, 04:18 AM
That doesn't make sense. What is pre-hypertext? Hypertext pre-processor makes more sense.

I think that Pre-Hypertext Processor makes perfect sense. The server processes the page before it is given to the client as the Hypertext file... How does that differ from Hypertext Preprocessor? In fact, it's not preprocessing the Hypertext, it's processing its own language before handing it over as HTML or what not, so technically... (Or maybe I'm totally wrong...)

IMO it would have made more sense to have either used the P for something meaningful or just ditched it.. but then I suppose it would be just HP ;)

At the end of the day, I find the whole recursive acronym thing annoying, but that's my only gripe, so... I'm going to reveal the PHP abbreviation to stand for "Pre-Hypertext Processor" on my own website. Problem solved :p

firepages
06-06-2007, 05:23 AM
The recursive acronym thing was popular and still is for OSS , thing is `Personal Home Page` just had to go ;) and since PHP was already well known simply as PHP who needs a name change ?

I have yet to meet anyone who says `Gnu's not UNIX` instead of GNU or whatever PERL stands for, so I don't suppose it really matters anyway ?

marek_mar
06-06-2007, 09:11 PM
I have yet to meet anyone who says `Gnu's not UNIX` instead of GNU or whatever PERL stands for, so I don't suppose it really matters anyway ?
... but WINE stands for "WINdows Emulator" and no one is changing that!

ghell
06-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Was WINE originally WINdows Emualtor or what? I find it hard to believe that it would have started off at WINE Is Not an Emulator. Maybe I should go look it up. Wikipedia will know! :D

Mhtml
06-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Why doesn't anyone even consider that PHP is useful in more places than just the web?

kewlceo
06-29-2007, 07:38 PM
HPP...yeah you know me! Hmm decent rap song oh wait that was OPP.

OPP would be a great replacement for PHP!

OPP = Other People's Programming :D

bcarl314
06-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Point of Fact:

PERL = Practical Extraction and Reporting Language
WINE = Wine Is Not an Emulator (another recursive algorithm)

deva.vvel
07-25-2007, 06:28 AM
hi here is a useful information for PHP coders..

The PHP development team has announced that PHP 5.2.3 is released. This release continues to improve the security and the stability of the 5.X branch.

And the team also announces that support for PHP 4 will continue until the end of this year only. After 2007-12-31 there will be no more releases of PHP 4.4, and will continue to make critical security fixes available on a case-by-case basis until 2008-08-08.

_Aerospace_Eng_
07-25-2007, 08:51 AM
I don't remember exactly when this was publish but apparently its a true story.
http://bbspot.com/News/2000/6/php_suspend.html

ghell
07-26-2007, 05:13 PM
Why doesn't anyone even consider that PHP is useful in more places than just the web?I'm no expert on php so this may be wrong but I would say the reason for people not considering it useful is its lack of usefulness (to my knowledge).

Out of curiosity, where is it useful outside of the web? The only thing I have seen it used for outside of web pages is to use the system() function to run commands, still run through a http server though.

firepages
07-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Out of curiosity, where is it useful outside of the web?

when you are more conversant with PHP than say bash/sed/grep/perl/python then PHP is an excellent shell scripting language and moreso as a `glue` for the above (not so much perl/python of course)

when I start work on a new web based application I run

#> php /home/scripts/php_vhost.php d:domainname u:username p:password

that php script creates the webroot, creates postfix proftpd and mysql users, copies skeleton files to the new webroot, creates symlinks to my common libraries, creates the basics of a config file for my framework, exec()s a ruby script I don't have the time to decipher that creates javascript obfuscated javascript email links, creates a virtual host container for apache , adds the testing domain to /etc/hosts , restarts apache and flushes mysql privileges.

so 2 seconds after running that script I can go to http:deb.$domainname and start working.

I am working on a version of it now for live servers which will also create the appropriate DNS Zones and restart bind and other live-server specific tasks currently getting stuck on adding the slave zones to secondary servers though I am sure I will work that out eventually.

OK all the above could be done with PERL or Python, thing is I would struggle to do that and find it hard to maintain.
Its probably no more that 15 or 20 simple command line statements and could probably be wrapped in a shell script .. but I find recursive directory iteration easier in PHP , str_replace easier than sed ... etc etc, you get my point.

Many people also create x-platform GUI's with PHP-GTK .. I used to be a lot more active with that though I have not had the time to play properly with PHP-GTK2 which is a shame, I still have a commercial script out there written in PHP-GTK1 for win32!

I have seen people using php for 3d-modelling .. not sure how, (external)device drivers .. again not sure how , web-servers & reverse proxies .. not sure why ;)
There is even a linux distro out there somewhere which uses PHP-GTK for all its widgets.. will try and find the link.

Thats (for me) the beauty of PHP, like PERL it can do so much more than it was originally designed for and excels at the thing it was designed for, and above all its so bloody easy to use.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum