View Full Version : Form link

flyingspacebar
05-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Is there anyway that i can create a form, where depending on what the viewer types depends on what webpage they go to. I have a page where i want it to go.
For example. The viewer is on the home page (0), on that page there is a form. If they type in 1 it will go to page (1) or if they type in 2 it will go to (2), but if they type in a page that does not exist they get a custom error.

I'm not even sure this is the right section to put it in.:confused:

koyama
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
From your description it is not clear whether the user is required to click a submit button or not after selecting the number.

In any case, either way, to get what you want you would need either server-side scripting (e.g. php) or JavaScript.

flyingspacebar
05-23-2007, 08:37 AM
Well i want the users to click submit, and i would rather use javascript, does anyone know what to do with it

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Having a navigation system that relies solely on javascript is very bad from an accessibility point of view. Not everyone has javascript enabled. I don't have javascript enabled by default. Here is how you do it with javascript.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<script type="text/javascript">
function goTo()
{

var el = document.getElementById('pagenum').options[document.getElementById('pagenum').options.selectedIndex].value;
if(el == 'none')
{
alert('You have not chosen a page number.');
}
else
{
window.location = el;
}
return false;
}
</script>
</head>
<body>
<form action="#" method="post" onsubmit="return goTo(this.pagenum.value)">
<select name="pagenum" id="pagenum">
<option value="none">Choose a page</option>
<option value="page1.html">Page 1</option>
<option value="page2.html">Page 2</option>
<option value="page3.html">Page 3</option>
<option value="page4.html">Page 4</option>
</select>
<input type="submit" value="Go">
</form>
</body>
</html>
I think the select menu is a little more user friendly than an input box.

flyingspacebar
05-23-2007, 09:29 AM
thanks alot mate. that seems great, but just out of interest what would need to be changed to make it an input box

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum