View Full Version : Same of Different Keywords per Page?

ArcticFox
05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Right now I've all my pages sharing the same keywords via a PHP script (meta.php). The pages rank fairly high on Google searches (top 7 on first page). I'm wondering that the effect would be if I was to have specific keywords per each page.

Examples:

Page:index.php
KW: x-250,x-300,x-400,x-500,x-550

Page: x300.php
KW: x-300,x300,X-300,X300,300,3oo,3OO

Page: x550.php
KW: x-550,x550,X-550,X550,550,55o,55O

Would this drop my rankings, or do you guys think it would raise my site up the search results page?

Pennimus
05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
The short answer is yes it will raise your rankings...

...but the long answer begins "no, not really". You do ideally want a small number of unique keywords for each page so you would be heading in the right direction, but in reality meta keywords aren't going to do anything on their own. Whatever very minor effect they have on ranking (and it really is very minor) is to reinforce the theme of the page that you should've already established with other page elements.

In general, I would advise people not to bother with meta keywords because the time you spend fiddling with them simply isn't justified in terms of what you get back.

felgall
05-17-2007, 11:36 PM
Are there any search engines that still look at the keywords at all, I know that the major ones don't.

kewlceo
05-18-2007, 12:08 AM
Are there any search engines that still look at the keywords at all, I know that the major ones don't.

It's quite old fashioned (the keywords tag) and just as well dropped since the time is better spent writing good body copy with valid keywords instead.

The description tag is still picked up by Google, but I notice it indexed more so on Flash sites. Example: Google "agmontana" (a clothing manufacturer) and you'll see their description meta tag is used as the site's descriptive text, lol.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=agmontana&btnG=Search :D

felgall
05-18-2007, 12:11 AM
I think the description meta tag is the only one that some search engines use (to display as the description in their search results. Others don't even use that. All the other meta tags are redundant as far as search engines are concerned.

kewlceo
05-18-2007, 12:40 AM
I think the description meta tag is the only one that some search engines use (to display as the description in their search results. Others don't even use that. All the other meta tags are redundant as far as search engines are concerned.

QFT. :thumbsup:

(Although the robots meta tag is still picked up by search engines, I prefer using robots.txt for exclusions and of course sitemaps for inclusions.)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum