View Full Version : what graphics program would you recommend

gator
05-14-2007, 11:52 PM
I'm wondering what graphics program (like photoshop) Would you recommend? I'm not very good at photo shop, are there any graphic programs out their that anyone knows that is "noob friendly"

Thanks

Gator

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-15-2007, 01:34 AM
Fireworks is pretty 'noob friendly'. I think it runs about 100 US dollars. www.adobe.com

Paint Shop Pro might something you would want to look into. I think it to is about 100 US dollars.

Then there is always GIMP. People say different things about it. Some say its easy to use, some say its hard. This one is free. www.gimp.org

cbsturg
05-15-2007, 01:45 AM
Fireworks is pretty 'noob friendly'. I think it runs about 100 US dollars. www.adobe.com

Paint Shop Pro might something you would want to look into. I think it to is about 100 US dollars.

Then there is always GIMP. People say different things about it. Some say its easy to use, some say its hard. This one is free. www.gimp.org
I'm an open-source kinda' guy, but GIMP never caught on with me. For graphic creation, I use Adobe Illustrator. It's not cheap, but it's one of the best out there. I really only use Photoshop for picture editing.

I have Fireworks (came with my Adobe Creative Suite bundle), but haven't even launched it yet...

gator
05-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Im checking out corel painter X...I hope it's good[=

nolvorite
05-15-2007, 04:05 AM
photoshop's power is undisputed . . . am I right?

vinyl-junkie
05-15-2007, 04:51 AM
photoshop's power is undisputed . . . am I right?
PhotoShop is touted by a lot of people as if there is no other graphics program. However, I think most others can match PhotoShop feature for feature. All of them have some sort of learning curve, so then it becomes a matter of personal taste and budget. Don't forget that there are lots of great tutorial sites that can help you ease the pain of learning how to use your tool of choice.

Karen S. Garvin
05-15-2007, 01:40 PM
All of them have some sort of learning curve, so then it becomes a matter of personal taste and budget.

Absolutely. And even more importantly, it depends on what kind of graphics you will be doing. For line-art illustrations (vector graphics - think of drawing with a pencil or pen) Illustrator is very good. Bitmap illustrations (raster graphics - think photographs and/or painting) require image editing software like Photoshop, PaintShopPro, or Painter.

I had the earlier versions of Painter and liked it very much, but I haven't owned it since Corel bought out FractalDesigns, which created Sketcher and Painter (back in the early 90s).

I'm personally no longer a fan of Corel. Corel has a way of buying out software and crapping it up by adding a zillion shovelware features that slooooooow down the program and make the user interface very, very cluttered. The last version of CorelDraw I used had so many menus that it left only a small space on the screen for you to actually draw in.

The other thing to consider is how many people own and use a program. The more people who own it, the more likely you are to find tutorials and other information about how to do specific things with the program. This might not be THE reason to buy a program, but it doesn't hurt.

kewlceo
05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Haiku CS3

The fog dims the moon

I pray tomorrow brings luck

Photoshop arrives!

gator
05-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Corel seems to be good so far:)

TheProdigy
05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I would suggest Fireworks from Adobe(Macromedia)

And don't forget, Do the Tutorials! :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum