View Full Version : running apps from local pages

tyreth
12-12-2002, 02:46 AM
If I have a cd with html/javascript files on it, can I make a URL on one of these local pages run a local app? Such as installing an app like realplayer or quicktime, or even running these players with a clip located on the cd playing?

If javascript cannot do this are there any other ways I can?

Thanks.

Steven_Smith
12-12-2002, 02:54 AM
If the local computer was the server with the cd init

You could try

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.exec.php

<?
`d:cdscript`;
?>

Type of thing.

Steve

tyreth
12-12-2002, 02:59 AM
Wouldn't this require an apache installation running PHP? Since php is all server side. This is a cd for distribution to normal users to view information. Kind of a demo cd or something.

Steven_Smith
12-12-2002, 03:03 AM
Yes, this would require apachee and php on the user. I understand what yo uare looking for now.

And I think the answer is no. Your browser can't talk to the CD-ROM.

Steve

tyreth
12-12-2002, 03:05 AM
yeah I'm thinking its probably not possible. Holding one more vain hope - that the realplayer plugin contains some code for launching the app rather than embedding it.

Thanks

Roy Sinclair
12-12-2002, 05:20 PM
If you're targeting windows machines then the answer is yes, go to the MS web site and look up HTML Applications (basically *.HTA pages) which will give you the capability you desire (only from a local web page though, this doesn't work for a page on the internet or an intranet).

rsci
12-12-2002, 06:20 PM
HTA is really your answer. Basically your HTA page will make VBScript calls to execute the programs. HTA will only run under IE and needs to be local (ie not a remote web page).

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum