View Full Version : JavaScript Buttons to Control GIF Animation?

05-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I have a sequence of photographs depicting an object making one complete revolution. My plan is to convert it into a .gif animation to show on my website.

One option would be to have the object simply continue to rotate with no user interaction.

But I was wondering: Is it possible to have JavaScript buttons that control the sequence of frames in a .gif animation left and right? In other words, you press the left-hand button to (in my case) rotate the object to the left as long as you want (past 360 degrees if you wish), and you press the right-hand button to go the other direction.

I originally created the effect with Flash, but if possible I'd like to have a non-Flash version too, for those who don't have the Flash plugin. To get a better idea of the effect I'm looking for, you can view the Flash .swf version at:

If it is possible to use JavaScript buttons to control a .gif animation, any help with the code and process would be greatly appreciated.

05-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Just about any javascript Slide Show script can be modified to do this.

The images would be in an array and would be rotated a set interval when the button is depressed. The speed of rotation would be easy controlled.

Advantage over animated gif is the image quality would not be restricted to gif standard.