View Full Version : Which is the hardest/most boring code you ever learned?

nolvorite
05-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Which is the hardest/most boring code you ever learned?

For me: Javascript and php.
Why javascript is hard? Javascript because you need case-sensitive letters which causes validation.
No I like javascript, it's just hard.

Why php is hard? It's soooooooooooooooooooo hard and boring!!!!!!!!!!!

Spookster
05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd have to say prolog.

nolvorite
05-03-2007, 06:28 PM
prolog?

NancyJ
05-03-2007, 06:49 PM
probably fortran because I had no interest (was doing my friend's maths programming coursework)

Brandoe85
05-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Rpg :(

liorean
05-03-2007, 08:51 PM
Which is the hardest/most boring code you ever learned?That would be my forays into C/C++ and Java. (Though I didn't get more than 5-6 Java classes written before I dismissed the idea of teaching myself that language, so I hardly learnt it.

C/C++ on the other hand can be fun in some ways that higher level programming languages cannot, too. Sometimes it's fun messing with machine close code.

On the other hand, I still have some esoteric languages such as intercal, brain**** and malbolge on my "look into if you get time" list, and I seriously think they'll be a pain to learn. Unlambda was, and that is a language of pure beauty compared to malbolge...

Krokador
05-03-2007, 09:33 PM
I have to say C++, but it was not because of the language itself, but more because of the teacher we had. He has one of those voices that gets you sleepy, he's got a twisted logic and his exams were unfeasable cuz no one understood what he wanted...

Other than that, I wouldnt know. I learned VB.Net quite easily, and after doing C++, php or C# or javascript kinda looked like nothing :P Althought javascript is tricky 'nuff

Spookster
05-03-2007, 10:40 PM
prolog?

Yes prolog
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolog

Aradon
05-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I'll be honest that I haven't ever been bored learning a language. But I'd say the hardest that I've had to learn would be lisp. Simply because it is SO different then normal languages but so powerful as far as evaluation of different expressions go.

But I don't think I've ever been bored learning a language.

*edit* Assembly would be a close second if not equal first.

Spookster
05-04-2007, 03:27 AM
I'll be honest that I haven't ever been bored learning a language. But I'd say the hardest that I've had to learn would be lisp. Simply because it is SO different then normal languages but so powerful as far as evaluation of different expressions go.

But I don't think I've ever been bored learning a language.

lisp is second on my list. I had to work with both that and prolog back to back in college.

PappaJohn
05-04-2007, 03:42 AM
I loved Assembly (not that I'd want to code in it now), it was the first real language I learned - BASIC, at the time didn't qualify.

The only problem I had with php, was intermixing html with the php. Not that I found it hard, just annoying to follow. Now I use the Smarty Template Engine (http://smarty.php.net) which allows me to separate the code (php) from design (html).

I have to agree that RPG was my least favorite language (if you can call it that) to learn.

ghell
05-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Haskell.. by far!

Drakain Zeil
05-04-2007, 10:48 PM
sql
it just doesn't stop being boring.

oracleguy
05-04-2007, 10:57 PM

I actually don't mind assembly too much; I think the most complicated usage I ever did was building a code generator in C++ that generated assembly, that got a little crazy.

I think the language I haven't liked the most has been ColdFusion, it wasn't too hard to pick up, I just didn't really like writing it.

nexosis
05-04-2007, 11:34 PM
assembly and lisp will both take 75 years to complete.

ghell
05-05-2007, 01:19 AM
sql
it just doesn't stop being boring.

I take it you have never written a 100+ line stored procedure, they can be fun:thumbsup:

liorean
05-05-2007, 03:21 AM
Oh, I forgot the one obvious language! XSLT!

Just to obfuscate the procedural language they make a syntax built by doing a syntax evaluation of a document tree compiled from a document that has a declarative and not procedural base syntax! Ick, as if one layer of syntax wasn't enough!

marek_mar
05-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Assembly, using BIOS interrupts only.

Kang He
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
I'd say German.

evo
05-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Ms VB. That done my head in back in the day

thesmart1
05-15-2007, 12:02 AM
All I know is HTML/XHTML, CSS, JS, PHP, and AS, and of those, PHP is the hardest to me, because there's just so much (although it is a good thing, as far as functionality goes).

TheShaner
05-15-2007, 05:01 PM
I took Prolog and Lisp back to back too in my college days. Definitely difficult because the syntax is so foreign compared to most, but I wouldn't say it was boring. I enjoyed it.

C, C++, Java, VB, and all the server-side languages are all very similar in nature and really not that difficult once you pick up on a high level language like C++ or Java, although it took me a while to get use to C since it wasn't object-oriented.

Assembly took some getting use to and is pretty difficult if you're trying to create a complex program with it, but if not, it's not too bad either.

I think Perl was a bit crazy when I began to get into regular expressions. Wrapping your head around regex's can be a bit daunting at first, haha.

And I must agree with OracleGuy, ColdFusion isn't fun to write either. Not very hard, but just so clumsy and unwieldy compared to the other server-side languages.

I almost had to learn LEX and YACC back in college, but luckily that was scrapped because that didn't look like much fun at all, haha. I DID NOT want to learn to create parsers! Now THAT looked boring! :eek:

-Shane

rafiki
05-16-2007, 03:15 PM
well PHP is the only language i learned! lol

VIPStephan
05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
I'd say German.

Haha, thatís a good one. :D Like Germans are all robots. :p

kosstr12
05-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Javascript was the hardest one ive learned, considering that half the time I was learning it from the book, I was grounded from the computer...WHich means no practice =/

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum