View Full Version : Embedding a Windows Media Encoder Stream

05-01-2007, 09:24 PM
On this page:

I have embedded a webcam streamed from Windows Media Encoder, using some instructions I googled. Unfortunately, the stream is embedded using this code:

<!--- BEGIN PLAYER --->
<!-- webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan ---->
<object ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6f312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95" STANDBY="Loading Windows

Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject"

<param name="autoStart" value="True">
<param name="filename" value="">
<param NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="False">
<param NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="False">
<embed TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="" NAME="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="240" autostart="1"

<!-- webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan ---->
<!--- end PLAYER --->

The document has a transitional doctype, which is stopping the stream from playing in Firefox. I'm guessing this is because the deprecation of the object/embed tag (I can't remember which of these tags, or both, is deprecated.) When I remove the doctype declaration it streams fine.

My question is, how do I embed this stream to make it happy with the transitional doctype, and still play in most browsers?

PS - Please ignore the fact that the stream is sitting oddly in that blue box, or any funny faces I may be making on the cam.
PSS - Hopefully the stream is even working properly!
PSSS - Give the stream a minute to load.

05-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm currently browsing through the sticky related to this topic. Hopefully I can find the answer there.

05-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Well, I went with an iframe to embed the unhappy non standards code. I'm sure there must be a better way to do it, so I'd welcome those thoughts. Until then, it's working, so I'm temporarily sated.