View Full Version : Site design question

Daniel Israel
05-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Hello all,

I'm working on a site where the client is working on touching up photos. The customer will upload the photos to the site and they would do the work and then they would be notified and download the photos from the site.

Now, uploading a photo isn't a problem, but some customers might have 100+ photos which could mean upload a couple hundred meg of photos. Is there some technique or tool that would allow the customer to do this from a webpage and not an FTP?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

evo
05-03-2007, 09:16 AM
You'd have to upload the file and store its details into a database - e.g. mySQL. This is more of a serverside question - you'd need to use PHP/ASP, or similiar to achieve this.

ronaldb66
05-03-2007, 09:47 AM
And yes, you can do this with an HTML form and, as Evo already mentioned, some server side form processing.

Daniel Israel
05-03-2007, 06:21 PM
Storing information in databases isn't really the problem (I've done that umpteen times).

The problem is uploading so many files (and so large). If I can select an entire directory and upload all the files in that directory, that'd be great... but I don't think forms can do that (you have to select files one at a time).

I was hoping to find an example how to do it without something like a java applet, but I've not found any examples of that.

saeed
05-04-2007, 01:57 PM
well on Hot Scripts (http://www.hotscripts.com) you can find many free ASP/PHP scripts related to your query. Hope this will help...

best of luck.

_Aerospace_Eng_
05-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Hmm I would try to find a flash file uploader. There are quite a few out there. One that comes to mind is MultiPowUpload - http://www.element-it.com/MultiPowUpload.aspx

It allows you to upload multiple files at a time. It comes with a config file that allows you to change where the graphics will be stored.

croatiankid
05-06-2007, 08:30 AM
and I guess you'd probably need a hell of a server if there'll be lots of people doing it at the same time

felgall
05-06-2007, 09:27 AM
The most efficient way if uploading over 2Mb of data is to use a dedicated file transfer facility designed for the purpose. There is an FTP library available in PHP that can do this for you and other server side languages should have something similar. Just don't try to do it using the normal file transfer options built into languages that are not dedicated file transfer facilities as they mostly have about a 10000% overhead and will slow the server way down compared to using a facility designed for the purpose.

GoingLiveSoon
05-24-2007, 01:00 PM
and I guess you'd probably need a hell of a server if there'll be lots of people doing it at the same time

Although, there's no reason why you can't have them queue. Anyway, it's probably less to do with the server, and more to do with the size of the inbound pipe.

I run a web hosting company, and usually, inbound traffic is 1/10th of outbound, for your average shared hosting site.

And anyway, how are the "touched up" photos going to be delivered back to the customer? That's a helluva big email! :-)

Daniel Israel
05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Although, there's no reason why you can't have them queue. Anyway, it's probably less to do with the server, and more to do with the size of the inbound pipe.

I run a web hosting company, and usually, inbound traffic is 1/10th of outbound, for your average shared hosting site.

And anyway, how are the "touched up" photos going to be delivered back to the customer? That's a helluva big email! :-)

Customer will download them from the site, likely through HTTP. They'll get a link and download it with a browser (which works fine, it's the big upload that's the trick...)

mlseim
05-24-2007, 07:02 PM
This sounds like a smart-alec answer, but if a customer
has 100 digital photos to touch-up, why don't you have
them mail you (snail mail) a photo CD? You could have
their CD in 1-2 days priority mail. That would solve a lot
of problems for both the sender and yourself.

You could even provide your clients with a return-mail
CD sleeve (sort of like NetFlix).

They would have the choice of getting back a CD with re-touched
photos, or viewing them back online.

Daniel Israel
05-25-2007, 02:30 AM
This sounds like a smart-alec answer, but if a customer
has 100 digital photos to touch-up, why don't you have
them mail you (snail mail) a photo CD? You could have
their CD in 1-2 days priority mail. That would solve a lot
of problems for both the sender and yourself.

You could even provide your clients with a return-mail
CD sleeve (sort of like NetFlix).

They would have the choice of getting back a CD with re-touched
photos, or viewing them back online.

Good questions. Because:

1. The photos may go back/forth a few times before it's finalized...

and MOST importantly...

2. That's how the customer wants it. (She owns the site, I'm just the programmer...) :D

firepages
05-25-2007, 03:20 AM
you can do the ftp via the webpage .. ftp://yourdomain.com in a webbrowser will give them a page they can drag and drop to , it does not get much easier than that.

.... you can even put the FTP folder in an iframe in a regular page (if for no other reason than it annoys some of the 'frames are evil' crowd ;))

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum