View Full Version : earth like planet

rafiki
04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1262484,00.html
any body seen this i caught a quick glimpse on SKY News this morning whilst getting ready for work, what you think about it ? more life? or phoney crap lol

Spookster
04-26-2007, 01:19 AM
They found my home planet. Grrrr Must move it again.

Aradon
04-26-2007, 01:34 AM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1262484,00.html
any body seen this i caught a quick glimpse on SKY News this morning whilst getting ready for work, what you think about it ? more life? or phoney crap lol

Who knows. The main point is that we can't reach that planet anytime soon.

daniel_g
04-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Pluto's gonna be mad...

rafiki
04-27-2007, 12:58 PM
They found my home planet. Grrrr Must move it again.

has this happened before?
but seriously this is the closest any planet other than earth has come to being able to cope with life form with a tempreture of 0-40 degrees centigrade means the water would be liquid which is essential for any life form (even if it is flowers) i hope that NASA put in a hugh amount of money to research and develop a shuttle that can reach the planet before my time on earth is up

Mhtml
04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
has this happened before?
but seriously this is the closest any planet other than earth has come to being able to cope with life form with a tempreture of 0-40 degrees centigrade means the water would be liquid which is essential for any life form (even if it is flowers) i hope that NASA put in a hugh amount of money to research and develop a shuttle that can reach the planet before my time on earth is up
Wow, so many many arguments come to mind right here.. sorry to be blunt dude - that's just bollocks. Liquid water a requirement? I guess for most carbon based life as exists on our lonely little planet. But who are you to discredit the possibility of carbon life existing in an entirely different manner, or the very real possibility of silicon based life for that matter? Why must life rely on good old Hydrogen at all? Hmm?

And well, I think if we manage to get to those distances within any sort of reasonable time (without say the use of solar sails and cryogenics or something) then it won't be NASA that gets us there but some brilliant young physicist at some university somewhere.

And flowers? Do you realise how complex they are? The discovery of bacteria is what we should/are aiming for!

Just thinking about it, I'd much rather see money and research invested into terraforming.. Wouldn't it be awesome to terraform Mars?

VIPStephan
04-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome to terraform Mars?

Iíve seen a documentary some time ago where they philosopized how life on Mars could be once we - fruitful as we are - have multiplied, and filled the Mars, and subdued it. :)
The conclusion was that due to the differences in size and mass of Earth and Mars within a reasonable amount of time (like a couple of hundred years or so) people on Mars would have mutated and become a significantly different ďraceĒ than people on earth. For example they would be much taller due to lower weight as result from the lower gravity. I canít remember what else they were prognosticating, it has been too long ago. But itís really interesting.

rafiki
04-28-2007, 03:52 PM
Iíve seen a documentary some time ago where they philosopized how life on Mars could be once we - fruitful as we are - have multiplied, and filled the Mars, and subdued it. :)
The conclusion was that due to the differences in size and mass of Earth and Mars within a reasonable amount of time (like a couple of hundred years or so) people on Mars would have mutated and become a significantly different ďraceĒ than people on earth. For example they would be much taller due to lower weight as result from the lower gravity. I canít remember what else they were prognosticating, it has been too long ago. But itís really interesting.

i say throw the crims up there, then we wouldnt be running out of jail space for a while 8-) LOL

Mhtml
04-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Somehow I think it'd cost more to send them there then it would to just build bigger prisons. It's like the idea of sending garbage to the sun, its so much cheaper just to throw it in the ocean when nobody is looking - perhaps we should just do that to thin out jail populations?

rafiki
04-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Somehow I think it'd cost more to send them there then it would to just build bigger prisons. It's like the idea of sending garbage to the sun, its so much cheaper just to throw it in the ocean when nobody is looking - perhaps we should just do that to thin out jail populations?
thats harse unless were talking rapist murderers and child molesters

Mhtml
04-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Well naturally we'll let the lesser criminals try their luck in the gladiator ring.
[edit:] Argh, it's nearly 6am - the sun is rising so it's my bedtime..have to preserve my pasty white glow.

ghell
04-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Pluto's gonna be mad...Pluto was probably more mad when they decided that it was a moon not a planet at all, they castrated its status to bits with that decision. Serves it right for being tiny and not orbiting in a circle i say!

As for the water requirement for carbon based life, water has some very special properties (for example everything else around it would be a gas at room temperature, or something like that) which I'm sure a chemist (one which studies chemistry rather than dispenses drugs) can tell you about. Personally I dropped A level chemistry and never took A level biology (but my brother is currently studying medicine in London)

Mhtml
04-28-2007, 10:35 PM
I'm not quite sure what you're talking about. Water is a particularly polar molecule, it (quite obviously) has hydrogen bonds and requires a decent amount of energy to break (not say as much as an ionic/covalent). Are you talking about other molecules of the same class? There are so many possibilities as to what you could mean...

nolvorite
04-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Lol! :)

awsomejoe23
04-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Hate to burst your bubbles but they really can't even see the planet. They can just tell by the gravity of the planet making the star "wobble." Though I do believe their is a planet there as suggested by the evidence, it could easily be farther or closer away than we expect, as well it may have no atmosphere, or one like that at Venuses. As to the whole life thing, I think it would be cool, but we will just never know in our life time unless there is intelligent life out there sending radio waves out into space. But like mhtml said, who are we to say that they are made out of water, or use radio waves for that matter. I've always wondered, what if it wasn't bronze that we made use out of first, it was iron or some other element that is found in a natural ore, we might have different ways of transport, all are computers might be made out of different material. We only go by what we have learned from the past, we are a naive civilization. Though, yes life would be much more likely for us to find in a environment that contains water, but thats what we used to say about the sun until we found plants at the bottom of the ocean that lived of the chemicals that creaked out of the floor of the earth.
I would much rather see money go into terraforming like said before. It would be cool to see a mini Earth grow and eventually prosper. It would be a great sign that we as a civilization will not destroy ourselves. It will be our first step in colonizing the galaxy!

And yes there is life out there, that is smarter than us and life that is dumber. We live in a universe that is infinite and has infinite everything in it, so it has infinite life. We don't have infinite life on Earth so there must be life off earth. And if there is infinite life off earth then there must be both infinite life forms that are more complex/simpler and smarter/dumber than us.

Thats it!

ArcticFox
04-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Good News - I've been working on the design for a ship that will be able to get us to other stars within out lifetimes. (closest star: 12ly, travel time:65 days) As soon as I can get funding I'll be building prototypes for testing. ;)

Bad News - Gliese 581c orbits Gliese 581 once every 13 days. How would you like having to go to Denny's and hear them sing the Happy Birthday song every 13 days? I think I'd go insane.

Good News again - If Gliese 581c is tidally locked, there will be a 'band' around the planet that will always be in partial darkness (I hate the full sunlight; Mhtml, good for you, too). The winds on the planet are constant so we could use wind generators for electricity, and if we can develop solar panels that work better in the red spectrum they be used on the sunny side for constant electrical generation for the dark side as well, if needed.

Just give me a little more time to get the XTC eGrav craft built...

ghell
04-29-2007, 09:23 PM
ArcticFox have you never seen a scifi movie, for some reason even in movies that have no concept of "earth" they still use earth years :p It would just be 1 year = 28 rotations around the sun or something ;)

Mhtml, I'm not too sure about this one but water has some very special properties, some of which are why life on Earth depends on water. Why does silicon based life not depend on water (as I said, I dropped chemistry and didn't take biology)?

Also remember that even if water is ice or gas, anything outside of the Goldilocks Zone, which is pretty narrow, will be incredibly hot or incredibly cold by Earth standards, and we only need freezers at -18'C to stop or at least dramatically slow bacteria's growth, and we boil water at 100'C to make it safe to drink, so I don't think theres much chance of life anywhere outside of say -50'C and 200'C even if it doesn't use water :)

Awesomejoe, that is how they see black holes, but does a planet really have enough gravity to bend light that much? If that is how they know it exists (and I'm not saying its not how they know) then how can they tell all these things about it? I don't really know what is possible with a radio telescope :confused:

Also, I'm pretty sure they would use radiowaves if they have the technology. Radio, light, microwaves, gamma radiation etc are all part of the EM spectrum. Suggesting they wouldn't use radio waves (if they have the technology) is kinda like suggesting they wouldnt be made of atoms just because they are so far away.

Your infinateness hypothesis is flawed. There is no proof that the universe is infinate, let alone that everything in it is infinate (for example are there infinately many Earths in the universe? are there infinately many 1932-11-29 03:50:58s ?). As far as I know string theory and m theory both suggest that the universe is but part of a multiverse, which of course just begs the question "is the multiverse infinate?" As a computer scientist, I have to also point out that there are different degrees of infinitum (for example positive and negative, discrete and continuous)

Mhtml
04-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Mhtml, I'm not too sure about this one but water has some very special properties, some of which are why life on Earth depends on water. Why does silicon based life not depend on water (as I said, I dropped chemistry and didn't take biology)?I'm not saying that it couldn't full well depend on water, but if silicon based life does exist, it is quite likely that it exists in temperatures ranging in the high thousands of degrees - of course this is way past the saturation point of water's liquid state.

Also remember that even if water is ice or gas, anything outside of the Goldilocks Zone, which is pretty narrow, will be incredibly hot or incredibly cold by Earth standards, and we only need freezers at -18'C to stop or at least dramatically slow bacteria's growth, and we boil water at 100'C to make it safe to drink, so I don't think theres much chance of life anywhere outside of say -50'C and 200'C even if it doesn't use water :)Water isn't really a variable to be considered as far as I'm concerned. You need to be thinking outside the square, just because those properties apply to carbon based life as we know it on our little planet doesn't mean anything. The properties of so many other basic elements allow for the absolute possibility of life living outside of our definitive constraints. Nothing can honestly be ruled out - we barely understand life as we know it let alone to be saying with any certainty how life could possibly form in other environments. Even a small change in the amino acids at the start could make the biggest difference as to how things end up.

Mhtml
04-29-2007, 10:40 PM
Awesomejoe, that is how they see black holes, but does a planet really have enough gravity to bend light that much? If that is how they know it exists (and I'm not saying its not how they know) then how can they tell all these things about it? I don't really know what is possible with a radio telescopeWell for the most part it is just educated guess based on what we can observe. But that is all science is really. Until we find otherwise then this is how we draw our conclusions.. But astrophysics is generally pretty solid, the equations work and the conclusions are logical.

ghell
04-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Yea, classic example: neutrinos. Invented around 50 years (I think it was that long) before they were discovered :p

A lot of stuff in astrophysics is just open to speculation because unless we hit the edge of the universe (or can work out something about cosmic echoes that suggests where an edge is), we probably aren't going to prove that the universe either is or isn't infinate. Who knows, maybe all that background cosmic radiation that scientists assume is from the big bang, is actually from a bunch of aliens having it out billions of years ago ;)

I really know nothing about silicon based life (save that head and shoulders kills it? :D)

powerpuff
04-30-2007, 04:13 AM
I'm sorry but... the maya calender says 2012(The end of the World Age) sun will explode and by the time earth is gone : D The human flesh will be ripped open, gravity at a high accelerating rate will stretch expand your body causing it to explode in a second, then volcanoes erupting as high as mount Everest, tornadoes approaching 100mph, more than 100earth quakes appear in country, and finally the almight sea rise almost 500meters above ground drowning earth with intense pressure. *phew. When were the Mayans wrong? Didn't mean to scare yah... i so believe in Mayans.
Maya Calender (http://www.levity.com/eschaton/Why2012.html)

ArcticFox
04-30-2007, 09:46 AM
That's why you should help support my eGrav designs before it's too late!

rafiki
04-30-2007, 12:11 PM
That's why you should help support my eGrav designs before it's too late!

i could spare a 5er 8-) may i see the prototype designs? :P

ArcticFox
04-30-2007, 12:27 PM

rafiki
04-30-2007, 01:28 PM
nice artwork, looks like something out of star trek or something

Drakain Zeil
05-01-2007, 06:57 AM
We may have a reasonable means of getting there, and funding should appear now that we have a reason to go somewhere.
http://space.newscientist.com/channel/space-tech/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

This is pretty exciting, if it's 20 lightyears away, and only one of some odd 220 planets looked at? Life may not be so scarece, simply unable to communicate.

bcarl314
05-01-2007, 04:29 PM
i say throw the crims up there, then we wouldnt be running out of jail space for a while 8-) LOL

Ah, so Mars would become the Florida / Australia of the solar system?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum