View Full Version : Re: image quality when exporting gif transparant

malhyp
04-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi there, can anyone help with a small issue?

I have created a logo which is only in standard text. the text is white and background is transparant.

When i view the image it seems fine. When i esport it the final result when uploaded looks distorted or not clean and accurate.

Can anyone suggest why this is?

Export Settings:
Gif
Websnap adaptive
Loss 0
Colours 256
Dither 0
Alpha Transparacy
Font Size 54
Smooth Anti Alais
325x75 Pixels
Resolution 300 Pixels/Inch
Bicubic

Cheers

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-13-2007, 09:08 AM
This is going to occur as long as you save it as a gif on a transparent background. You have 2 choices.
1) Save the image with a background color that matches the background color of area on your site in which you wish to put the image.
2) Save the image as a 24-bit png with transparency. The only downfall of this is you will need javascript for IE6 in order to get the alphatransparency on the png to work. IE7 supports alphatransparent pngs natively.

Also there is no need to have it at 300dpi. Its not being printed, its going on the web. Use 72 dpi instead for a smaller file size.

malhyp
04-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey there Aerospace, thanks for the quick reply. I have been playing around with this for days thinking that I have done something wrong.

I will give one of your suggestions a try.

I might even created the logo in the background its self, as the background is not one colour.

Thanks again.

Mally

ArcticFox
04-13-2007, 10:39 AM
This is going to occur as long as you save it as a gif on a transparent background.

Also there is no need to have it at 300dpi. Its not being printed, its going on the web. Use 72 dpi instead for a smaller file size.

Why does transparency cause this issue?

And I was about to guess that increasing the dpi would make the text sharper... no? Why? :confused:

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Well it would depend on the image but its mainly due to the number of colors a gif supports. Only 256. Drop shadows and things like that are the main cause for the jagged text.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum