View Full Version : asp.net authentication

superman
04-07-2007, 07:01 PM
I am using asp.net with sql server 2000 for an intranet web application. I was wondering should i use forms authentication or windows authentication. Is either better than the other? Also there maybe a requirement in the future for remote access using a vpn, would forms or windows suit this better? Any input would be much appreciated.

Grant Palin
04-07-2007, 08:31 PM
One is not really better than the other. But they each have their advantages in certain situations.

Windows auth. is most useful in intranet apps, while Forms auth. is a little more general. I haven't used the former, so I can't speak much to that, but I have used the latter and it is easy to get started.

Don't know if this is the case with Windows auth., but I know that Forms auth. can be used with a variety of data sources, including SQL Server - or any other database - or the web.config, or even an XML file.

superman
04-08-2007, 10:57 AM
thanks,

do you know if either one has an advantage or is better if a vpn is being used

Grant Palin
04-09-2007, 11:19 PM
I haven't had to deal with connecting via VPN before, so I can't speak to that I'm afraid. I don't know if that would affect the setup necessary if using Windows auth., although if using Forms it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not going to be much help going in this direction. But there may be others on this forum that can advise if they find this thread. May I also suggest checking out forums.asp.net (http://forums.asp.net) - a very good resource for anything .NET related.

superman
04-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I haven't had to deal with connecting via VPN before, so I can't speak to that I'm afraid. I don't know if that would affect the setup necessary if using Windows auth., although if using Forms it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not going to be much help going in this direction. But there may be others on this forum that can advise if they find this thread. May I also suggest checking out forums.asp.net (http://forums.asp.net) - a very good resource for anything .NET related.

cheers.

Lallo
04-11-2007, 02:38 PM
You can use whatever you want depending on your need. According to the data that you want to keep for every access. I prefer forms because i get what i want for log, and with windows auth you get only things setup by the web server.

Regards :cool:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum