View Full Version : Loading images into default viewer rather than browser

12-08-2002, 08:31 PM
This might be really easy; :)

How do I make an image load into the default viewer / app or make them available to download rather than appearing in a browser frame or window?

Click a link and the filename is in the anchor - I know how to open them in a new window or in a particular frame, but how do I the above?

Like if you put a filename in an anchor (say .exe) it prompts to Open from Location or Save to Disk.

How can I make the images do that?

12-09-2002, 02:33 AM
One way I've seen that done, for background files and such is to zip the image... a zip file will be promted for download. An easier way would be to put instructions right under the image like "right click, choose Save As..." etc etc...

12-09-2002, 02:44 AM
That is the simplest (and usually the best) solution.

Otherwise you have to specify the MIME type and other stuff on the server-side, which you may or may not have access to.

Personally, unless it was for something resembling http://www.download.com or an automatic installation of software, I would use the .zip (or right-click instructions) approach myself.

12-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Thanks for taking time out to reply guys.

I don't have server-side access so that approach would be out.

It's because I have some large scans (A4) size that cannot be effectively resized, they are 300dpi 2-bit .gif files and are under 150kb per page, but not everyone will use WinZip (or A.N. Other Compression Utility - I know it's hard to believe!) and a SFX archive will set a lot of alarm bells ringing for the cautious!! (Virus threat etc.)

I will have to consider your options I guess!

Thanks again

12-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Most compression utilities can now read all major file types...zip, rar, etc. I wouldn't worry about their end of things and go with zip. :D