View Full Version : Keeping site config in the DB

guvenck
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Hello,

I have gathered some variables in config.php, such as $sitename, $siteurl, $root_path, $enable_registrations etc.

For me it is no problem to keep it in the config.php, I can live with it, whenever I need to change something, I can edit it.

But for other people, who don't have FTP or file editing knowledge, I want to make this info accessible in the Admin section.

I can prepare a config DB table and keep the values there. But there are some variables which are called with every page load. For example $sitename appears in the header.php or footer.php. That could make too many DB requests. On the other hand, config.php gets included with every page load too :)

So that makes me think about using session variables. Get the values at the start, assign them to session vars and change the session vars when admin changes them. Is this a smart way?

iLLin
04-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Na use a cache file.

function get config values {
if cache file exists, use it, if not
query database for config values
create cache file
return info
}

:D

Then just clear the cache file when the info is changed. The function will auto check for the file and requery when necessary

guvenck
04-04-2007, 05:42 PM
Sounds good.
Where to create the cache file, which extension?

Can you be more specific?

:)

aedrin
04-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Extension and where is completely up to you. Though I suggest making the file, or the folder it resides in not readable from outside.

Either by using an .htaccess file or putting it outside of the webroot.

iLLin
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
^^

I use .cache and setup a cache folder in the same dir of the html folder, which is outside of the root dir :)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum