View Full Version : Website does not work without 'www' prefix

napalmdeath
04-04-2007, 04:10 AM
My website, www.napalmdeath.be, does not work without typing the 'www' prefix before 'napalmdeath.be'. How can I fix this? Without the 'www', it directs to an Apache page saying the servers are good or something. I want 'napalmdeath.be' to redirect to 'www.napalmdeath.be' at least..

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-04-2007, 04:23 AM
You will need to use .htaccess.

1. Make a new text document, save it as htaccess.txt
2. Put this in it

Options +FollowSymLinks

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^napalmdeath.be [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.napalmdeath.be/$1 [L,R=301]
3. Upload htaccess.txt to your webhost using an ftp program.
4. Using the ftp program rename the file to .htaccess WITHOUT the extension.

iLLin
04-04-2007, 04:54 AM
Or just configure you php.ini file to allow www or not.

napalmdeath
04-04-2007, 05:03 AM
ok, it has been fixed, cheers for the info

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-04-2007, 05:30 AM
ok, it has been fixed, cheers for the info

Which solution did you use? And why the heck did you remove the problem. Others need help to not just you. Don't be selfish. Others could have benefited from the knowing the solution to the original problem.

CFMaBiSmAd
04-04-2007, 02:32 PM
This must have been another of the "I Want" members, where they go running to a forum to get some immediate "I Want" answer, and they aren't, can't or don't give any thought to giving anything back and would never become a contributing member anyway.

iLLin
04-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Yea, gotta love selfishness

napalmdeath
04-04-2007, 03:46 PM
whoa whoa whoa... I didn't know it was such a big deal... You guys didn't have to attack me like blood-thirsty sharks... but sorry if I appeared as 'selfish'... I didn't know. I created the original message again...

oracleguy
04-04-2007, 05:06 PM
whoa whoa whoa... I didn't know it was such a big deal... You guys didn't have to attack me like blood-thirsty sharks... but sorry if I appeared as 'selfish'... I didn't know. I created the original message again...

Yeah they might of gotten on your case a little too much but generally on most forums, editing out your original question is considered rather impolite. Since being able to search forums for previous questions that might solve your current problem is one of the main ideas.

Just don't do it again and you'll be fine.

CFMaBiSmAd
04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
The forum's "edit" time setting is a bit too long anyway. All it really needs to be is enough time to catch typos and add follow up information. 30min to 1hr would be enough, though in this thread the time from the original post to the "fix and edit" was just under one hour.

There was another recent thread that suffered from the same "fix" and "I don't want to share anything I found out" problem as well. In fact, unless I did not read everything, we don't actually know what was done to fix the problem in this thread.

rdharma
09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Thank you...all

teedoff
09-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah they might of gotten on your case a little too much but generally on most forums, editing out your original question is considered rather impolite. Since being able to search forums for previous questions that might solve your current problem is one of the main ideas.

Just don't do it again and you'll be fine.

People actually SEARCH forums for similar problems BEFORE they post?....Wow thats news to me...lol

I think I stated in another thread, that new forum members should be required to search for a period of time before they can actually post a new thread...lol

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum