View Full Version : Please review my portfolio website

Sman5109
04-01-2007, 06:46 AM
http://www.EliLoewen.com (http://www.eliloewen.com)

Can you please review my website that I designed as a portfolio for other websites I designed.

Don't worry about the "splash" page. It sucks, i know. I just don't have the time right now to change it. :)

Anything you see that should be changed, please tell me.

Thank You.

PS: The website does not work in old browsers like IE6.

nexosis
04-01-2007, 09:50 AM
nice site, however when I enter the index page my opinion was: "wow, I think this image is 1 terabyte"

It loaded too slow. Reduce the size of that background/image.

NancyJ
04-01-2007, 03:31 PM
You're really not selling yourself on your homepage
If this web site looks bad and you have an outdated browser, then you are retarded! Upgrade your browser and stop making everyone downgrade their sites because you are too stupid to get up to date with things!

This is just unprofessional and unacceptable for any serious developer. IE6 is still used by 60% of users and will be for a long time. Not everyone has the option of upgrading their browser - eg schools and large companies

Sman5109
04-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Thanks for your comments.

I have got rid of the splash page, and i have edited that text to be less unprofessional .

You guys see anything else that should be changed or edited?

Nightfire
04-03-2007, 07:45 AM
You've put your pages are css3 valid. I didn't think css3 was 'out' yet?

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I still can't take you seriously. I mean come on you are going to stop coding for IE6? Good luck with that. Nancy has a very good point. The fact that you are calling yourself a designer yet say your site doesn't work in IE6 doesn't say much about your skills.

I also think you use too many divs. Your menu is a good example. That would be better coded as a list of some kind. I suggest you look into the term semantics.

I also agree with Nightfire. CSS3 hasn't even been released yet. As a matter of fact there is NOTHING in your current CSS that is CSS3.

As for coding in XHTML1.1. I really don't think you understand the benefits of XHTML1.1. You aren't even supposed to pass it as text/html. You are supposed to send the application/xhtml+xml headers. If you don't know how to do that then drop down to XHTML Strict.

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter because you say you do sites for free so its your prerogative on what browsers they work in. If you were getting paid to do sites then it would be a different story.

Sman5109
04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
I still can't take you seriously. I mean come on you are going to stop coding for IE6? Good luck with that. Nancy has a very good point. The fact that you are calling yourself a designer yet say your site doesn't work in IE6 doesn't say much about your skills.

Well its not that the site doesn't work in IE6. The only problems are that IE6 does not support the "min-height" property or the transparency I use. Other then those 2 the site works fine.

I also think you use too many divs. Your menu is a good example. That would be better coded as a list of some kind. I suggest you look into the term semantics.
Those divs were then only way I saw I could do the menu.

I also agree with Nightfire. CSS3 hasn't even been released yet. As a matter of fact there is NOTHING in your current CSS that is CSS3.
Even tho im not using any css3, its still css3 valid.......<= That was my reasoning. So i see your point and i have changed it.

As for coding in XHTML1.1. I really don't think you understand the benefits of XHTML1.1. You aren't even supposed to pass it as text/html. You are supposed to send the application/xhtml+xml headers.
Fixed! (I hope)

Does anyone see anything else wrong?

oracleguy
04-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Those divs were then only way I saw I could do the menu.

Give this a read: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists

iLLin
04-03-2007, 11:04 PM
For as much static as your getting, your handling yourself pretty good :)

Nightfire
04-04-2007, 01:06 AM
For as much static as your getting, your handling yourself pretty good :)

I agree. It's good when someone asks for opinions and critisizm (sp) and when he/she gets it, doesn't take it personally and be rude, but uses it to improve :)

Sman5109
04-04-2007, 02:07 AM
I agree. It's good when someone asks for opinions and critisizm (sp) and when he/she gets it, doesn't take it personally and be rude, but uses it to improve :)
Thats the way it should be. I don't see the point of asking ones honest opinion, then arguing about what they say.

I'm not perfect, nor do I know everything. Thats why I come here to get help on things I do wrong. So why would want to be rude to someone who is trying to help me.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

ragol_67
04-05-2007, 02:02 AM
I recommend purchasing a book called "CSS Mastery - Advanced Web Standards Solutions". This will be the best investment you ever make, when it comes to designing websites, that will work in ALL browsers.

I don't like how the blog page has a different layout then the rest of the site. I find when I am surfing a site that has an inconsistent layout, I will get lost, and even frusterated, especially when I have to use the back button on my browser.

You need to REtest the formmail script you are using on your contact page to validate and process the form. It isn't a very user-friendly form. Users shouldn't be able to see Server-side errors on your site.

As mentioned above, I am truly turned off by your style of writting. Not only is it unprofessional, but it's a huge deterrant. You aren't in the business of designing websites. You are in the business of selling. A prospect could care less if you can code with the latest HTML standards, and your site uses CSS3... Most of them wouldn't even know what the hell that meant.

Your prospects want to be assured that they will get better value from using your services, than the competition, (and I don't mean cost-value). They want to know their decision to chose you will be risk-free. By the way, people in general usually associate price with quality. So by stating that you don't charge anything for your layouts, may be saying goodbye to a potential client. And plus, you want to make money. Don't give your services away.

I could go on and on about how to be a good sales person, but the main thing I wanted to recommend is to have someone proof read your site. I am assuming you don't have the means to hire a Technical Writter, so I would go with your mom or dad. Also, take out all the technical mumbo jumbo... Best way to do that would be to ask someone that doesn't know anything about ANYTHING(cause computers are everything) if they understand what you are saying.

Hope this helps!!! :D

Sman5109
04-05-2007, 07:04 AM
I don't like how the blog page has a different layout then the rest of the site. I find when I am surfing a site that has an inconsistent layout, I will get lost, and even frusterated, especially when I have to use the back button on my browser.

I tried to make the theme look like the main website but it requires PHP knowledge and i know very little php so i gave up.

You need to REtest the formmail script you are using on your contact page to validate and process the form. It isn't a very user-friendly form. Users shouldn't be able to see Server-side errors on your site.The error you got was because you didn't put in stuff in the required fields, and thats why it gave you a error.

As mentioned above, I am truly turned off by your style of writting. Not only is it unprofessional, but it's a huge deterrant. You aren't in the business of designing websites. You are in the business of selling. A prospect could care less if you can code with the latest HTML standards, and your site uses CSS3... Most of them wouldn't even know what the hell that meant.

Your prospects want to be assured that they will get better value from using your services, than the competition, (and I don't mean cost-value). They want to know their decision to chose you will be risk-free. By the way, people in general usually associate price with quality. So by stating that you don't charge anything for your layouts, may be saying goodbye to a potential client. And plus, you want to make money. Don't give your services away.

I could go on and on about how to be a good sales person, but the main thing I wanted to recommend is to have someone proof read your site. I am assuming you don't have the means to hire a Technical Writter, so I would go with your mom or dad. Also, take out all the technical mumbo jumbo... Best way to do that would be to ask someone that doesn't know anything about ANYTHING(cause computers are everything) if they understand what you are saying.Thank you for all your advice, but you have to understand one thing. I cant be in the business of selling anything right now. Because I am under the age of 18 (Im 16) i have no means of receiving payment. I dont have any credit cards, a paypal account, nothing. Really the only thing i have ever bought for my website is the domain name which was $15, everything else I have gotten for free (including a great FREE cpanel reseller account with 2 (soon 5) Gb of space and 6 Gb of bandwidth.). So right now the website is just a portfolio of my designs, and i really dont want it to look like im selling anything at the moment.

But thak you for your advice ragol_67. :)

ahallicks
04-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Have you ever considered the use of conditional statements (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp) to help your site look good in IE6 too? Dead easy to use and implement and require you to control the way separate versions of IE look...

And for the transparent PNG problem, there is a fix that can be used in the conditional stylesheet for IE6 that will alow you to use transparency... check that out here (http://www.daltonlp.com/view/217)

twodayslate
04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
I stopped coding for IE6. Microsoft is enforcing the merge to IE7 so many people are switching. You just have that select few that still use IE6, but who cares about them!

Sman5109
04-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I stopped coding for IE6. Microsoft is enforcing the merge to IE7 so many people are switching. You just have that select few that still use IE6, but who cares about them!

Exactly! :)

twodayslate
04-06-2007, 03:29 AM
Exactly! :)But then again I am not currently trying to sell anything and my IE6 bugs just require some javascript or the bug is so small they won't even notice. Or the user will just miss out on a feature.

Karen S. Garvin
04-06-2007, 06:18 PM
You just have that select few that still use IE6, but who cares about them!

Hooray! I'm one of the select few. :) But I guess you don't care. :(

See if I visit your site. :p

ahallicks
04-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah same here. You can't generalise like that. Firstly, do you know how many cracked version of Windows are out there? They cannot get the new IE7 very easily at all because of the new genuine advantage thingy, security checks that are run to ensure a valid copy of windows.

I still have IE6 too, and so do so many others! Why would you simply not allow for them? It's not exactly difficult to code for IE6 either... there are a few slight problems that have, on the whole, very simple work arounds. And trust me, it'll improve your coding knowledge a heck of a lot!

Sman5109
04-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Yeah same here. You can't generalise like that. Firstly, do you know how many cracked version of Windows are out there? They cannot get the new IE7 very easily at all because of the new genuine advantage thingy, security checks that are run to ensure a valid copy of windows.

Its called Firefox. At this moment, the computer im on cant get IE7 (reason as said above ;) ) but i dont care because anyone can download FF even if you have a pirated windows.

I still have IE6 too, and so do so many others! Why would you simply not allow for them? It's not exactly difficult to code for IE6 either... there are a few slight problems that have, on the whole, very simple work arounds. And trust me, it'll improve your coding knowledge a heck of a lot!
IE6 is flawed and outdated. And im not going to wast my time with something that is outdated.

In time everyone will be forced to bow down to the almighty FF.

NancyJ
04-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Its called Firefox. At this moment, the computer im on cant get IE7 (reason as said above ;) ) but i dont care because anyone can download FF even if you have a pirated windows.

IE6 is flawed and outdated. And im not going to wast my time with something that is outdated.

Dream on.
If you refuse to cater to 60% of web users and are rude about it to boot, you will never get a real client in this business. Its quite simple. I'm sure we'd all love to drop support for IE6 but some of us live in the real world.

ahallicks
04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Dream on.
If you refuse to cater to 60% of web users and are rude about it to boot, you will never get a real client in this business. Its quite simple. I'm sure we'd all love to drop support for IE6 but some of us live in the real world.

Here here. How can assume that people are just going to to go and download FF if they can't get IE7? Imagine different age ranges, types of person, etc. Not everyone has the fundamental computer/internet proficiency that I'm sure you have.

Firefox is big... but it doesn't advertise on the telly. So many people simply jump on IE to do their weekly shop and have a quick browse. They don't care that they aren't using the latest versions of IE or FF... so if they are browsing and happen to hit your site, which is messed up that a possilbe customer lost!

Nightfire
04-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Plus users that are wanting to go on one of your sites from work, won't have admin access so will be stuck on whatever browser their sysadmin has installed (will be ie6). IE6 isn't that hard to code for, you're just being lazy :p

oracleguy
04-07-2007, 09:05 PM

What about all the millions of computers that aren't running Windows XP or Vista? IE7 won't run on Windows 2000 or 9x and if you don't think there aren't a lot of computers running those operating systems, you'd be wrong.

Or like Nightfire mentioned, even if the user is running XP, they might not have or be able to upgrade to IE7.

In addition there are still lots of people that don't even know what a browser is, all they know is they double click on the blue E to go online.

Pretty much unless the target audience of your site is computer savvy users, you are going to have to code for IE6.

Sman5109
04-07-2007, 10:06 PM
What about all the millions of computers that aren't running Windows XP or Vista? IE7 won't run on Windows 2000 or 9x and if you don't think there aren't a lot of computers running those operating systems, you'd be wrong.

Or like Nightfire mentioned, even if the user is running XP, they might not have or be able to upgrade to IE7.

In addition there are still lots of people that don't even know what a browser is, all they know is they double click on the blue E to go online.

Pretty much unless the target audience of your site is computer savvy users, you are going to have to code for IE6.
Well, if thats all they know then i dont think they will know how to use the internet or find my website.

twodayslate
04-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Dream on.
Yes, Sman5109 you are selling web site layouts. Most of the people who you will be working with won't have IE7 or FF. If they did they might be coding the site themselves.
I don't code my site for IE6 right away but I make it possible to do. My only problem is .png transparency usually and that can be fixed with javascript.
IE6 isn't that hard to code for, you're just being lazy :pIE6 is very hard to code for, 10x harder.
This is turning into a "why code for 800x600" battle.

oracleguy
04-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Well, if thats all they know then i dont think they will know how to use the internet or find my website.

I wouldn't quite go that far but it really depends what your audience is.

Sman5109
04-08-2007, 01:21 AM
Well, still the only problem i have with IE6 is the PNG transparency, and im not getting rid of that because PNG is my favorite over jpg and gif, and the min-height which IE6 does not support.

Is there a simple way to make min-height IE6 compatible, or should I just say screw it and let IE6 people suffer?... But because the only thing it does is make the main div consistent throughout the pages it not that big of deal in IE6.

twodayslate
04-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, still the only problem i have with IE6 is the PNG transparency, and im not getting rid of that because PNG is my favorite over jpg and gif, and the min-height which IE6 does not support.

Is there a simple way to make min-height IE6 compatible, or should I just say screw it and let IE6 people suffer?... But because the only thing it does is make the main div consistent throughout the pages it not that big of deal in IE6.

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/boxes/width.html
and
http://bjorkoy.com/post/show/8

All done!

Sman5109
04-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Hmmm... I'm just going to say screw it, and leave it the way it is. And even if I did it i have no way of testing it because Vista does not have IE6.

ahallicks
04-10-2007, 11:28 AM
IE6 is very hard to code for, 10x harder.
This is turning into a "why code for 800x600" battle.

I'm sorry, but it really isn't! I've had one or two differences in my stylesheet that I've had to change for IE6... and that's it! Nothing big or huge... you just have to take a little time to learn what works and what doesn't...

twodayslate
04-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry, but it really isn't! I've had one or two differences in my stylesheet that I've had to change for IE6... and that's it! Nothing big or huge... you just have to take a little time to learn what works and what doesn't...
OK, take a look at this (http://twodayslate.com/test/test.php) one.
Looks fine in FF but once you go to IE messed up. Trying to fix it.

Sman5109
04-12-2007, 05:22 AM
The only thing i see is the blue box at the top is a little off in IE7. You could also validate the document. Your only 3 errors away from XHTML 1.1 :)

Mhtml
04-12-2007, 07:13 AM

Almighty? I wouldn't go that far. Yes it is my primary browser but in terms of speed and stability I wouldn't say it compares to IE.

I'm honestly just at a loss for words, you have the wrong attitude. IE isn't hard to code for, not if you do things correctly from the beginning - and know what you're doing. You have no idea how many computers are still running NT4, Sman. You have to make things backwards compatible, nobody said being a designer was easy - in fact that is why the decent ones get paid lots of money, because they do a damn good job at something which is actually pretty difficult. I'd even rate it against real programming in terms of difficulty factor, the algorithmic problems are just as great as cross browser problems at times - they're both very frustrating.

i have no way of testing it because Vista does not have IE6.You're using Vista? There's a big problem to start with, nobody else (on the grand scale at least) is. Microsoft isn't forcing anything, they can't force adoption. My father actually just purchased a new copy of XP Pro from eBay just the other day. I'm not planning to upgrade any of my Windows boxen, I'll build a new one for Vista probably second/third quarter 2008.

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-12-2007, 07:19 AM
Oh and just in case you are wondering you can get standalone IE browsers. There is an install package for most of on this site http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Seems like you have a lot to learn when it comes to web design business. Keep doing your sites for free because if you start charging you are going to have a client that says your site doesn't work in IE7 and boom your screwed because you won't even know what to do.

NancyJ
04-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Oh and just in case you are wondering you can get standalone IE browsers. There is an install package for most of on this site http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Seems like you have a lot to learn when it comes to web design business. Keep doing your sites for free because if you start charging you are going to have a client that says your site doesn't work in IE7 and boom your screwed because you won't even know what to do.
Just because its free doesnt mean the client shouldnt expect a good job ;) Otherwise its just false economy. If someone offered to build me a site for free with the caveat being it wouldnt work in a browser used by 60% of web users (and possibly even more of my client base) then I'd have to decline and pay for a proper job

_Aerospace_Eng_
04-12-2007, 09:18 AM
No the point I was trying to make the fact that if it is free the client has to live with what they pay for and in this case well, something that doesn't work.

bk4_BJ
04-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Do not use the lens affect in your banner like that.

Mhtml
04-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Do not use the lens affect in your banner like that.lol, come on it's not that bad - he's only new to this sort of thing!

GSimpson
04-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Before This comes to an end, I would just like to point out that IE7 adopted over 5 functions from FF such as RSS and it's logo. But what did FF use as it's idol to get to what it is. :confused:

Sman5109
04-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Almighty? I wouldn't go that far. Yes it is my primary browser but in terms of speed and stability I wouldn't say it compares to IE.

I'm honestly just at a loss for words, you have the wrong attitude. IE isn't hard to code for, not if you do things correctly from the beginning - and know what you're doing. You have no idea how many computers are still running NT4, Sman. You have to make things backwards compatible, nobody said being a designer was easy - in fact that is why the decent ones get paid lots of money, because they do a damn good job at something which is actually pretty difficult. I'd even rate it against real programming in terms of difficulty factor, the algorithmic problems are just as great as cross browser problems at times - they're both very frustrating.

You're using Vista? There's a big problem to start with, nobody else (on the grand scale at least) is. Microsoft isn't forcing anything, they can't force adoption. My father actually just purchased a new copy of XP Pro from eBay just the other day. I'm not planning to upgrade any of my Windows boxen, I'll build a new one for Vista probably second/third quarter 2008.
That was ment to be a joke :p.

And the only reason im using Vista is because it was free and im waiting for April 19th to come so i can install Ubuntu 7.04 final. Ubuntu is great :) .

Before This comes to an end, I would just like to point out that IE7 adopted over 5 functions from FF such as RSS and it's logo. But what did FF use as it's idol to get to what it is. :confused:
Netscape?

Also. just a note, If i was coding a layout for someone and they ask me they want it X browser compatible then I will make it work completely with that browser.

I would also like to say Congratulations to this thread for getting over 650 views and 40 replys :)

ahallicks
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM

Probably the fact that IE is quite bad in certain respects and someone felt that they needed a fresh new browser interface that was user-friendly, open-source, and was standardised.

That was ment to be a joke :p.
Also. just a note, If i was coding a layout for someone and they ask me they want it X browser compatible then I will make it work completely with that browser.

But you'd still have to make it all browsers compatible. I can't think of a market that only uses one browser? That's why I don't see much point in anyone asking that a site works for a certain browser. It should work for all, simple as.

I would also like to say Congratulations to this thread for getting over 650 views and 40 replys :)

replies :p

Sman5109
04-13-2007, 11:38 PM
But you'd still have to make it all browsers compatible. I can't think of a market that only uses one browser? That's why I don't see much point in anyone asking that a site works for a certain browser. It should work for all, simple as.

Oh, put a "s" in front of "browser" and thats what i meant :)

replies :p
Im not the #1 speller :p

Also its standardized not "standardised" :p

VIPStephan
04-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Also its standardized not "standardised" :p

standardized = American English
standardised = British English

Wanna start a thread about who is wrong there? ;)

Sman5109
04-14-2007, 12:59 AM
standardized = American English
standardised = British English

Wanna start a thread about who is wrong there? ;)

Ummmmm blame FF spell check not me :rolleyes:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a new layout? Im bored and i wanna create another......

ahallicks
04-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Only if you are going to build it with IE6 in mind :p

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum