View Full Version : PHP-GTK 2 Opinions

03-31-2007, 06:17 PM
Is this worth diving into or should I use something like c instead? Does it have a thirst for memory, slow on responses or any other downsides to it? I'm needing to build a gui for a client and trying to find the best route to do it

04-01-2007, 04:39 PM
depends :)

It will not be as fast as a compiled application (in whatever language) , but in my experience it is not really an issue, startup is longer but after that its not really an issue (IME)

PHP-GTK2 has less memory issues since it is built in PHP5 without all those object copies floating around, and I have built daemon app's with a GTK front end that do not suffer from memory leaks etc that were common with PHP-GTK1

For me its all about PHP itself, given any task I know I will be able to code it faster and more efficiently in PHP (because thats the language I am most comfortable with) and unless there are compelling issues to use something else (heavy text processing/file parsing etc) then I go with my preferred tools

I can code GUI stuff in PHP I would not dream of trying in C or Python etc and whilst I would not even think about say a fully-blown spreadsheet or word processor in any interpreted language, most anything else then yes!

04-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Ahh knew I could rely on you for a reply ;) It's good to know there's less memory leaks as before, that's one of the main things I was 'worrying' about as the client's machine isn't that powerful.

04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
I think the most compelling reason to avoid PHP-GTK2 is the lack of documentation ... but the GTK+ documentation itself + some of the python GTK docs often have answers.

04-03-2007, 01:34 AM
Yeah I've noticed it's lack of everything at the moment lol. I've installed it today and just starting to have a play with it right now. No doubt there'll be a few questions from me later on