View Full Version : Private Air Management/Hangar III

ahallicks
03-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey guys, just been working on a couple of new sites with a friend for a UK Company... the two sites are based in the same area and are part of the same company but do different jobs so they requested two different sites, one for each.

So, as well as your comments and feedback regarding each sites structure and content (although there isn't much of that at the moment) I'd like you to give your feedback on whether you think they could be part of the same company based on the way they function!

So far we have a splash page up at the moment, which says the sites are coming soon and behind the scenes we've been working on the home pages ready for them to be released. As of yet there is not much content for each page, but we have bits and pieces.

Private Air Management (http://www.privateairmanagement.co.uk/home.php) - the main company whose site we were commissioned to start, and then:
Hangar III (http://www.hangar3blackpool.com/home.php) - The part of the company that requires site focus as well. We started this a couple of months after the first so tried to get the same sort of look at feel without them being too samey!

Let me know what you think anyways, cheers!

twodayslate
03-27-2007, 07:54 PM
The splash pages look quite good!:thumbsup:

ahallicks
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
CRAP! Thanks for pointing that out! I actually linked you to the splash page and not the pages I'm currently working on! lol

Take a look again and you should get to see the site this time! Thanks for the comment tho! :p

ronaldb66
03-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Based on those pages alone it's a bit hard to tell, but both sites seem to be about offering private aircraft.
Maybe you could provide some more info about the Hangar 3 site, but as far as I can judge I don't really see reasons for that site being separate in the first place; I would probably make it a sub section of the main site.

nexosis
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
The two sites look NICE! I have no cons, it's really nice!!!~~~~~~~~

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.nexosis.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

ahallicks
03-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Hmmm... possibly. But I just code, they pay :p

The Private Air Management site is based on customers (not companies) being able to sign in, check out the site and find out all the information they need on hiring out these aircraft including specifications, pricing, policies and destinations etc. P.A.M is more an informative site for the casual observer who is looking to hire a chartered flight to one of the set destinations.

Hangar 3 is a site focusing on aircraft storage, an area of the Private Air Management airport where private companies can hire space in a hangar to keep their jets either whilst visiting the country/airport, or for longer periods of time.

I think the focus on the similarity is basically in case someone looks for both, they can easily say "Oh, that's [insert name]'s company. They were really good for [insert service]" and use the company for future purposes in either one of those areas of business.

To be honest I'm not actually sure why they wanted two separate sites, but that's for the customer to decide and not me. It'll be a lot clearer when they provide content and images to put into the site as to what each company actually does.

croatiankid
03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.privateairmanagement.co.uk/home.php:
I love that "airport at dusk" feeling.
Next to the airplane, the text that says "please call us,...", I think the P in Please should be capitalized cause like this it looks like it doesn't belong.
Footer: "call us on"; are you sure "call us at" is not maybe better?
"latest announcements" a bit hard to read, try making it a bit brighter blue, or a larger font size.
You hit the spot with red link turning white on mouseover :).

ahallicks
03-28-2007, 01:18 PM
I love that "airport at dusk" feeling.
Next to the airplane, the text that says "please call us,...", I think the P in Please should be capitalized cause like this it looks like it doesn't belong.
Footer: "call us on"; are you sure "call us at" is not maybe better?
"latest announcements" a bit hard to read, try making it a bit brighter blue, or a larger font size.
You hit the spot with red link turning white on mouseover :).

Thank you for the comments!

I've changed the p to a 'P', didn't notice that one but I do agree it looks much better capitalised! That's what this is for! :)

The footer... I'm gonna leave it as 'Contact Us On:' as it's not actually 'Call Us' and I'd use 'Contact Us At:' for an E-Mail rather than a telephone as it states a place, rather than a number... I think :s

Changed the text colour of the latest announcements too... tho had some troubles with which colour to choose as white seemed too 'samey' and the red just didn't sit right there. In the end I chose a white with an underline to distinguish it as a header.

twodayslate
03-28-2007, 03:37 PM
They look really nice. :thumbsup: Good job!

For the first one, how are they supposed to login with only one field?

KevinG
04-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Very good. Bookmarked them, just in case.

Karen S. Garvin
04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm seeing a double line for the copyright info at lower left on the PIM page. It's as though there are two lines of type, one over top of the other. I'm viewing through FF2 on Mac right now.

the_scyphe
04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
5/10...
http://www.privateairmanagement.co.uk/home.php
When I see the menu tabs: "home" "who we are" etc. the texts shrink and doesn't look very nice.

I like the other 50% content though :)

ahallicks
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
They look really nice. :thumbsup: Good job!

For the first one, how are they supposed to login with only one field?

lol, yeah. I mentioned that to the guy who designed the site (just before I read this post actually) and he said "Oh yeah, better change that" so that should be rectified soon enough.

I'm seeing a double line for the copyright info at lower left on the PIM page. It's as though there are two lines of type, one over top of the other. I'm viewing through FF2 on Mac right now.

Could you try a cache-refresh first, it sounds like its loading the old background image and sticking the text on top... if that doesn't work could I see a screenshot please? Thank you

5/10...
When I see the menu tabs: "home" "who we are" etc. the texts shrink and doesn't look very nice.

Hmmm... that is a flash navigation system so should theoretically look the same in everything. Do you have flash disabled? Could you post a screenshot? Thanks for the comment

nexosis
04-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Hmmm... that is a flash navigation system so should theoretically look the same in everything. Do you have flash disabled? Could you post a screenshot? Thanks for the comment

5/10...

I think this is what he is talking about (in firefox 2):::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

unhovered
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/8913/screenshot001il9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hovered
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6138/screenshot00hc4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hah i've also tested it...scyphe if that's it reply to me in this topic.

see the letter s in the hovered tab; it looks shrinked.
also the letter I; it's like a 1px I.

ahallicks
04-06-2007, 08:56 PM
That is really strange! I've tested it in my FF2 and it's fine. IE7 it's fine, and IE6 it's fine? Shouldn't be a resolution problem either... what resolution are you using?

nexosis
04-06-2007, 10:55 PM
800x600...

marcus1060
04-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Very nice. Make me want a private jet!

ahallicks
05-02-2007, 11:20 AM
I've finally got some content pages finished and working, hurray! There have been some major updates to a lot of the pages so if some kind people wouldn't mind going around and having a look and letting me know what you think/what errors you find, I would be most appreciative!

Oh, and don't click on the 'Home' button as it will take you to the index page and not to the 'Home' as I can't be arsed going into my flash file and changing it for now. Yes, lazy I know.

The contact form doesn't work as yet, but it's up as an example.

http://www.privateairmanagement.com/home.php

PappaJohn
05-02-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm getting the easyspace.com parking page, not your site.

david_kw
05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I think he meant

instead.

david_kw

Karen S. Garvin
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Sorry to take so long...

Here is a screen shot. I did a refresh and got the same thing. I've cleaned out my browser cache, too.

Running Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

Screen res is at 1400 x 1050.

ahallicks
05-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Sorry to take so long...

Here is a screen shot. I did a refresh and got the same thing. I've cleaned out my browser cache, too.

Running Firefox:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.0.6) Gecko/20060728 Firefox/1.5.0.6

Screen res is at 1400 x 1050.

I'm so confused about this! It looks like the old background image is still displaying under the text that I used to line things up... but that image does not contain the text anymore, I have definitely taken it out and so far have not been able to see anything despite me testing at loads of resolutions and browsers!

I really don't know what's going on there? Sorry Karen!

PappaJohn
05-03-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm not getting what Karen's getting. Checked in on IE6, FF2 and Opera 9 (Win XP).

Very nice site, BTW.

rmedek
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
It looks very nice. Did you design this as well?

However:

No semantic markup: Booooooo
Flash-only navigation (with no keyboard input possibility): Booooooo

In all seriousness, a table-based layout would be none less accessible than this.

You can (and should) build simple HTML navigation and headings, and use Javascript (like swfobject.js or ufo.js) to dynamically replace those elements with the Flash goodies.

ahallicks
05-03-2007, 06:15 PM
It looks very nice. Did you design this as well?

However:

No semantic markup: Booooooo
Flash-only navigation (with no keyboard input possibility): Booooooo

In all seriousness, a table-based layout would be none less accessible than this.

You can (and should) build simple HTML navigation and headings, and use Javascript (like swfobject.js or ufo.js) to dynamically replace those elements with the Flash goodies.

I didn't design it, no... a guy I work with did and has done a brilliant job. I've helped him here and there, but it was his concept we worked on. The code is very messy because I've built the bloody thing about 4 times! No excuse I know, and should really get round to cleaning things up and making it all swish but at the moment I just want it built and ready.

What do you mean by the javaScript bit? Do you mean using [FlashObject] to input the navigation into the pages? I didn't realise placing flash into an object was not semantic markup? Everything validates thanks to the params used? If this is the case then I will look at using FlashObject... I understand it gets rid of the stupid IE7 "Click to activate" problems? I always thought it was overly complicated for what it did though? Am I mistaken?

rmedek
05-03-2007, 06:35 PM
By the Javascript part I mean building an accessible, semantic HTML version of the site, then using Javascript to dynamically replace elements with the Flash bits. That method does get rid of the IE7 Eolas patent bug clicky thing, but that's a bonus, not the biggest reason to use it, IMO. So screenreaders, search engines, keyboard users, users without Flash enabled, users without Javascript enabled all will get a nice accessible HTML version of the site. And the majority of users (visual browsers and Flash) will get the goodies.

The big thing here is that validation does not equal semantic and accessible. A table-based layout also validates. Where are the headings, the lists, the labels, the descriptive images, the paragraphs, even? You're using background images where inline images are really more appropriate, inline styles where external rules are more appropriate, and <div class="headertext"> instead of headings. You're using <div class="articletext"> instead of <p>.

You're following the letter of standards-compliant design (no table layout, [mostly] separation of style and content) but not the spirit (accessible for everyone, semantic markup, graceful degradation).

P.S. I'm getting the same thing Karen's getting. The background image in the footer has the contact text: http://www.privateairmanagement.com/resources/images/footer.jpg

Karen S. Garvin
05-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm not getting what Karen's getting.

I can break anything. :(

ahallicks
05-03-2007, 10:33 PM
By the Javascript part I mean building an accessible, semantic HTML version of the site, then using Javascript to dynamically replace elements with the Flash bits. That method does get rid of the IE7 Eolas patent bug clicky thing, but that's a bonus, not the biggest reason to use it, IMO. So screenreaders, search engines, keyboard users, users without Flash enabled, users without Javascript enabled all will get a nice accessible HTML version of the site. And the majority of users (visual browsers and Flash) will get the goodies.

The big thing here is that validation does not equal semantic and accessible. A table-based layout also validates. Where are the headings, the lists, the labels, the descriptive images, the paragraphs, even? You're using background images where inline images are really more appropriate, inline styles where external rules are more appropriate, and <div class="headertext"> instead of headings. You're using <div class="articletext"> instead of <p>.

You're following the letter of standards-compliant design (no table layout, [mostly] separation of style and content) but not the spirit (accessible for everyone, semantic markup, graceful degradation).

P.S. I'm getting the same thing Karen's getting. The background image in the footer has the contact text: http://www.privateairmanagement.com/resources/images/footer.jpg

Blimey. Ouch. :(

I've checked that image, and you're right. Even though I have taken out the text and re-uploaded it it doesn't appear to have over-written it? I'll sort that out tomorrow.

Just had a good read about swfobject and implemented it in the navigation section. Haven't built the HTML yet, but the swfobject works a treat, thank you very much. I'll set to the other bits and pieces you mentioned tomorrow too. I've always preferred using background-images, even though I know I shouldn't. Just keeps everything in the stylesheet. And the inline styles are eventually going to be moved to the external style sheet I was using inline today to position a few bits and pieces to line things up.

I hate using lists for navigation (probably because I've never really looked at doing it). But as you say, it is semantic and should be done, so for my navigation I build tomorrow I'll look into doing that one too.

Thanks for all the tips rmedek, really appreciate it! Keep an eye here as I'll be expecting the seal of approval once all the changes have been made! :p

ahallicks
05-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Well I've been working on some certain issues recently and have encountered one or two problems:

- the first problem is that in IE (all versions) ThickBox and SWFObject simply don't like each other! I don't know if anyone else has found this, but I can't run the two scripts at the same time and get ThickBox to work 100% of the time in IE. More often than not the ThickBox links turn out to be dead until I refresh the page countless number of times! So i worked out that SWFObject is the culprit, which means I can't use it to display my flash so I've had to revert back to using the old object tags :(

If anyone has a fix for this, or could possibly found out what the problem is I would appreciate it! (I'm looking at you Aero!) I have trawled help forums on the matter and can't find anything out and as of yet have not had my threads replied to.

- second problem: on the Aircraft (http://www.privateairmanagement.com/aircraft.php) page if you click on the red star shape in the header it should bring up a pop-up window (of ThickBox origin) and display my nice flash timeline! However, on my computer I simply can't get it to play the movie, I get the error 'movie not loaded...'. Everyone else in my office can see it in Firefox except me! (I can't get it to work full stop in IE tho, which is a bit of a problem that I really need to work out!)

If you wouldn't mind testing the flash to see if it works for you in a range of browsers that would be very helpful! Cheers guys.

(Oh, and rmedek, I've given up for the moment on changing everything to semantics because of the problems listed above and silly IE not playing nice!)

mlseim
05-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm just getting a black screen ... is everyone else seeing the website?

Oh, I see .... home.php is not working, but index.php works OK

ahallicks
07-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey guys. Major changes made to the site now. It looks the same, but just about everything has been updated/recoded and generally made prettier :)

If you find any problems with it please let me know, otherwise it's just about ready and done, the only thing I haven't yet finished is the Range Payload Flash which doesn't have all of the airports that are needed, but you get the general idea.

Thanks to rmedek for his input I've attempted to create a more semantic base to the code and learnt a lot about semantics in the meantime. I know there is still plenty of room for improvement on this site and I've missed bits, but generally it's all done and dusted.

Home Page (http://www.privateairmanagement.com)

The home link won't work now because I've removed that and put the site live so if you do follow a link to home.php I'm hoping you'll get my snazzy error 404 page instead ;)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum