View Full Version : A website with a million dollars!

nexosis
03-27-2007, 10:41 AM
http://milliondollarhomepage.com

Reply at what you think people . . .

Pennimus
03-27-2007, 10:56 AM
I think it was a phenomenal idea that, unfortunately and somewhat predictably, spawned a million copy cat sites. Alex Tew (the guy behind the site) worked extremely hard to market it and as a result ended up with a million dollars.

Sadly, although he promised to then work on more unique websites which I was looking forward to, he is now parodying himself with http://www.pixelotto.com/<-- essentially a "two million dollar homepage", which I'm pleased to see is not selling very well (in comparison to the original site, which has been around for a couple of years now and sold out very quickly).

ahallicks
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Wow, not seen it but Christ! What an idea. Only had 3454 validation errors and 48 warnings after 3397 lines! ;) :p

rafiki
03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
i heard about this but never seen it, he actually made a million dollars from that?

john2964
03-28-2007, 02:12 AM
I've seen it before and was keeping tabs of it when it was running up to a million dollars.

I kept up with the blogs he had done also, it had quite a bit of press. I can see that the site has a PR5, that is the only good thing about it now really I guess.

percepts
03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
last I saw was that he turned down all the job offers he got because of the idea and quit his university course to set up in business. Sounded like he was spending lots on business but hadn't come up with any really good new ideas.

Maybe a one hit wonder. A damn good idea but foolish to quit uni as he's no Bill Gates.

daniel_g
03-31-2007, 04:06 AM
last I saw was that he turned down all the job offers he got because of the idea and quit his university course to set up in business. Sounded like he was spending lots on business but hadn't come up with any really good new ideas.

Maybe a one hit wonder. A damn good idea but foolish to quit uni as he's no Bill Gates.

Are you serious? His motivation to do this was to be able to pay college, so if he really dropped out, makes me wanna wonder what kind of person he is.

john2964
03-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Maybe he realised that his time is better spent making money from running a business / businesses than what he would get from University. Spending 3 - 5 years in University, prizing how much you can do in that time, businesswize.

Although saying that I know you can get a degree and things, but you can also build up a big successful business in that time aswell.

the_scyphe
04-03-2007, 04:35 PM
the person had been given $1m for creating the wholesite.

VIPStephan
04-04-2007, 03:03 AM
the person had been given $1m for creating the wholesite.

I love people posting meaningless comments… :rolleyes:
Is that a question or a statement?
The guy wasn’t given a million dollars for creating that site, he created that site to earn a million dollars through advertising.

swong7
04-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Very neat idea... colorful as well!

I remember reading about this in the paper a year ago or so.....

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum