View Full Version : Need help with placing stuff (java/html)

isaaclloyd
12-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Ok, I got these really cool banner for my website. It is a flash banner. But the only bad thing is it has a bunch of add crap below it. I was wondering if theres any way to like make a black picture show above it so you would only see like half the banner. Is this possible? Thanks.

~Isaac~

cg9com
12-06-2002, 06:26 PM
um, i guess with the proper positioning you could line something up over it, but i dont think you should be asking these type of questions here ...

and btw flash *looks for thumbsdown smilie* .... :rolleyes:

isaaclloyd
12-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Well thanks for the help, lol :D If I shouldn't be posting these types of questions here then were might I seek help on this matter. Its rather a easy question for someone who knows. I have tried to line up an image but the flash banner always is on top. Might there be a way to make the image be ontop? Thanks.

~Isaac~

whammy
12-07-2002, 01:08 AM
I guess it depends on what you're doing. What is this "cool banner" you got, and where did you get it from?

I assume if they have advertisements below it, then they are perhaps required to use the banner on your site :confused:

I know I wouldn't voluntarily put a banner on any site I was making unless the client requested it (let alone a flash banner, since that also introduces other potential problems, such as people that don't have the shockwave plugin installed yet), or it was for some good money! I'm confused anyway - isn't a banner usually an advertisement in and of itself?

dauvm
12-07-2002, 01:57 AM
sometimes it's worth it to get a job just so you don't have to deal with such frustrating ad things!

as for the flash always being on top, you may want to use zindex so you can say layer positions.

I have seen a number of threads dedicated to zindex on this site alone... just search it.

-Doug

isaaclloyd
12-07-2002, 02:58 AM
This is just a Free banner from www.freebannernow.com Yes it dos have there little add at the buttom, Thats what I am trying to cover up because it looks like crap. Whats this "ZINDEX" thing? Is it some form of html or a different language? Thanks for the fast replys.

~Isaac~

cg9com
12-07-2002, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by isaaclloyd
Whats this "ZINDEX" thing?

z-index can define layers, if something was overlapping, this would control what showed on top, what showed second, ect.
<div style="z-index:100"></div>

isaaclloyd
12-07-2002, 07:05 AM
Thanks

isaaclloyd
12-07-2002, 09:51 AM
Well I tryed to figure it out but I still can't get it to work. Perhaps because its a flash banner and its always moving it makes itself always on top? Mabe you could explain a little bit more about how to get it to work. Thanks alot.

~Isaac~

redhead
12-07-2002, 06:40 PM
not even z-index can get layers over flash, there was a thread in the general web building section about this... but it sounds to me like you are trying to get rid of an advertisment right? the url you provided seems to be dead....

isaaclloyd
12-07-2002, 08:02 PM
Ok, well the banner was just an example. What I really need most of all is a ad buttom removed from a menu. I got a cool Free navigation menu from: http://www.flashbuttons.com/ sorry about the last link. I don't know why its dead. As you were saying, there is no way to cover a flash? So am I pretty much screwed? Thanks for all your help and fast replys.

~Isaac~

dauvm
12-07-2002, 10:02 PM
My best advice would be to download macromedia's 30 day free trial of Flash and then read a tutorial or two quickly, I haven't tried this one but most other tutorials on this page are very decent:
http://www.w3schools.com/flash/

Before I learned flash I thought they were like giant animated gifs and the people that made them had their masters degree in multimedia design and stuff LOL... but trust me, flash is very very easy....

-Doug

isaaclloyd
12-07-2002, 11:15 PM
Thanks but I could still use some help, lol. You have provided me with some information on how it works. Thats helpful and I will read it all but what I most need help on is once I get the flash how do I put an image over it. Anyone care to explain how z-index might work? Thanks again.

~Isaac~

cg9com
12-08-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by isaaclloyd
So am I pretty much screwed?
um, no you arent, the flash is supposed to have the advert ;)

and not even z-index will cover flash.
and like i said before, we should not be discussing how to cover up a banner that is supposed to be there.

isaaclloyd
12-08-2002, 06:03 AM
Well unless I can somehow cover up the ad I am kinda screwed. lol. And if yea don't mind me asking; why shouldn't I talk about it here? Is there another place to ask the question? lol.

~Isaac~

cg9com
12-08-2002, 07:10 AM
i was suggesting that we should not be finding a solution on how to remove/cover ads that are supposed to be there, (that would more than likely be a violation of the use of the flash anyway)
at least in this public forum
no worries :thumbsup:

isaaclloyd
12-08-2002, 08:55 AM
yes that is true. lol :D Well thanks for your time guys and have a great day (or night, lol) Cya.

~Isaac~

applesauce
12-09-2002, 06:25 PM
one of the rules here is that you don't ask for help in cheating someone out of money or ads and such. that 's why people are relunctant to help you cover an ad for someone who gave you a free product with the understanding that an ad would accompany it.

if you really want a flash banner without an ad, try the demo as dauvm suggested.

<edit>looks like 2 other people said the same thing while i was typing!</edit>

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum