View Full Version : Create pop-up webpage

eewgeography
12-05-2002, 08:47 PM
On my page, after a link is cliked I would like a small webpage to accompany the link destination. For example, if someone clicks on "Minefield Map". They are taken to an Adobe Acrobat map and I want a small box to also open that has the map legend that they can move around, close, etc. Is this possible?

ASAAKI
12-05-2002, 08:56 PM
u'll probably find eak's window generator helpful:
http://www.eak.homeip.net/newwindowgenerator.html

tommysphone
12-06-2002, 04:50 PM
How about adding the legend to the map page itself? Just a thought. Less windows = less choice = less confusion - most times. Plus, when I click a link and get more than one window I always chase the others and close them quick.

Edited five minutes later after a brain wave. Create a link to open your popup with the legend in. In that popup have an onload event for the map window.

or - this is really good...

Have a link to open the map window and an onload within that one that opens the legend window. That way, whenever the map is opended so is the legend. Do I get a gold star?

Good luck.

eewgeography
12-06-2002, 07:11 PM
Thanks for your replies. I have few questions. I tried to use the "eak" site but I don't think I quite understand it. I am a GIS person just trying to get many maps that were made with an AML without a legend that I have inherited and need to put online.

On the "eak" site, where do I put the code that is generated within the framework of what I previously discussed?

As far as Tommy's response...what does is mean to have an "onload event" is that just a link or something that automatically loads the page w/out clicking anything?

CitznFish
12-06-2002, 10:56 PM
You can use javascript to create a popup window when a page is loaded. The onLoad command sits in the <body> tag of the HTML page where you want the popup to appear.

For example...

I am at your website and I click on the link titled "minefield map"

this takes me to the HTML page "minefieldmap.html". In the code for "minefield.html" there is a tag called "body"

It would look like this:

<body onload = "newPop('map_legend.html','window1')">

you would need another JavaScript in the <head> area of the pam page (minefieldmap.html in this example)

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
var newWin=null
var i=0

function newPop(file,window1) {
msgWindow=open(file,window1,'resizable=no,width=450,height=318,left=40,top=40');
}
//-->
</SCRIPT>

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum