View Full Version : "share this page with a friend" - best practice?

03-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Greetings everyone-
Have any of you ever use php with the mail() function or swiftmailer to make a "share this site with a friend" page? - I need to build one tomorrow, but I'm not so sure about the best way to do this - Some sites ask you to enter your name and email address - then give you a field to enter some email addresses (separated by commas) - then, some pre-written text in a textarea.
I imagine the name and email address is used so the email is sent with their name and email as the reply to - but are there risks in this? Is it possible to be flagged as a spam mailserver?? Anyone have any experience with this?

What do you recommend for "best practice?" I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

03-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I'd say limit the number of friends to under 10 and you'll avoid looking like spam. And the method you have in mind sounds just like I would do it (not that that means it's the best way :D)\

Oh wait, I just saw the part where you want to make the email look like it came from the guy who initiates the share... I would not do this, because like you say that probably would make the email look like spam. Just keep the reply-to the same as your mail server and put in the email "your friend wanted to share this with you, yada yada..."

03-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Making the email look like it came from the person sharing it is common practice, and would most likely make it look less like spam (since it looks like a real email, instead one sent out by a random server).

Also, a limit of 3-5 seems more reasonable. I highly doubt anyone would ever need more than that.

03-16-2007, 08:44 PM
I've seen both pros and cons to this "send it to a friend" thing ...

In my personal opinion, it seems sort of "passe" ... like a hit counter.
Same thing with "guest books".

If a client requests it though ... I guess you do it for them.

03-16-2007, 09:04 PM
My personal taste is that forging it to look like it's from someone is annoying for the recipient.

Just my 2 pennies.

03-16-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree about it being like hit counters.

Why not just copy the link, and send an email yourself.

The reason why I feel that it coming from the author is better, is that it seems less like someone gave your email address away to some spam company.

If I get an email from the person themself, I feel less like my inbox is being invaded by something I didn't ask for.

03-17-2007, 06:31 AM
The only reason I ever send the message as the sender is for my site's contact form so that when I receive the mail I can reply directly to them. In your case you would definitely be best to send it from your server or say "suggest@yoursite.com" something of the sort. And ya 3-5 ppl sounds reasonable :)

03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone -
I remember reading that sending email from an address not associated with the mail server bumps the spam score -
I could note that "replies to this email will be sent to Company Name" - and still use the sender's name in the "from" section of the email - and also provide the sender's email address in the email -
Good idea?