V - Virus
I - Instability
S - Spyware/Spybots
T - Trojans
A - Adware

LOL is all i can say

_Aerospace_Eng_
03-09-2007, 05:57 AM
Have you actually tried Vista? Its pretty stable. The main issue now is manufacturers trying to keep up to put drivers for their hardware.

rafiki
03-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Have you actually tried Vista? Its pretty stable. The main issue now is manufacturers trying to keep up to put drivers for their hardware.
now i work part time and have a busy lifestyle i cant afford it LOL but remember how stable everyone thought XP was when it came out? a mates got vista on dual boot but uses XP pro

Karen S. Garvin
03-09-2007, 01:34 PM
It seems to me that stability of the OS is also dependent on the applications/drivers you install and run. I mean, some programs just won't play well with any OS.

Armondo
03-10-2007, 12:48 AM
wow...instead of playing with your computers you argue over which one is better like fan boys. IF YOU LIKE MS THAN GOOD FOR YOU AND IF YOU LIKE APPLE GOOD FOR YOU. end of story.

Nightfire
03-10-2007, 02:10 AM
What about Linux? :( lol

Fou-Lu
03-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, whats with people eh?

Our OS classes have used Vista to death. Found that aside from its pretty much mac stolen gui, its operations are pretty much identical to Windows XP, very few additions, and Microsoft decided to skimp on their WinFS system so thats another loss on them.
So, IMO Vista = XP with 5x the system requirements = totally not worth while.

marek_mar
03-10-2007, 12:37 PM
...and worst of all, my graphics card is not supported under vista anymore!

bcarl314
03-11-2007, 06:33 AM

I'm with Nightfire here. At this point for me, Microsoft and Mac are in the place where Linux is for most users.

Someone try to convince me to switch from Linux to Windows.

Here's what I need...

1) A stable development platform
2) Access to quick, easy, and helpful online support
3) Quick and reliable software patches and updates
4) Easy to use interface
5) Ability to "get my hands dirty" with the system if I need to.
6) Ability to run servers as needed without extra licensing - typical include web server, database server, mail server, dns server and more
7) Ability to do basic to moderate graphics editing
8) Ability to play my music
9) Ability to watch DVDs
10) Some type of affordable Office Suite

Really, bottom line is all 10 of the items are accomplished above with Linux. Under Windows, I don't think I can do 1,5,6,7,8,9 or 10 without DRM or moderate licensing fees.

If anyone's considering "upgrading" to Vista, my recommendation - at least TRY a linux flavor FIRST. There's really no harm. My suggestion would be try ubuntu because:

a) You can have the full CDs sent to you for free
b) It's one of the most user-friendly - user-centric linux distrubutions out there.
c) easier install than windows

All I ask if that you try it for one week. If it doesn't work, then go pay the $200 for Vista. My bet is you'll save $200 in doing so.

Fou-Lu
03-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Someone try to convince me to switch from Linux to Windows.

Ok, I'll try :)

A stable development platform [FAIL]
Access to quick, easy, and helpful online support

Depends on your definition of quick, easy and helpful
My opion: [FAIL]

Quick and reliable software patches and updates

Definitly not reliable [FAIL]

Easy to use interface

Used to using it so... [PASS]

Ability to "get my hands dirty" with the system if I need to. [FAIL]
Ability to run servers as needed without extra licensing - typical include web server, database server, mail server, dns server and more [UBER FAIL]
Ability to do basic to moderate graphics editing

Nothing usable included so... [FAIL]

Ability to play my music [PASS]
Ability to watch DVDs [PASS]
Some type of affordable Office Suite

Depends on your definition of 'affordable'. I'm a poor student so... [FAIL]

Microsoft rules right? Right?

Linux wins.

Linux noobs should definitly check out Ubuntu or a similar OS. Heck, I love using Ubuntu on a dual boot, the only issue is that my computer is 1/2 ntfs so it makes file writting a little difficult. Otherwise, no complaints from me, I prefer the Ubuntu OS.

twodayslate
03-13-2007, 12:36 AM
I am using Vista right now. My dad got a 21" inch wide monitor and my only complaint is that the text is too small. It looks great! I still like the GUI of Linux better though... :p

Get and OEM version too cut the price in half.

DragonCustoms
03-13-2007, 03:18 AM
:) Howdy! I'm just starting with Xubuntu. M$ is makin' me mad:mad: , so "bye, bye". I'm not a software guy, (last programming I did was in BASIC, on a IIGS!:rolleyes: ), but the switch seems easy(ish). The tons of support help alot, too. Sorry for the hijack, Ill step back into the shadows...:cool:

twodayslate
03-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Vista has it's problems though. When my internet goes down I click "Diagnose and repair" Windows then says after 5 minutes of Diagnosing that it can not fix the problem. XP you just click "repair" and the problem is fixed.
Or when a program is not responding and you click "end now" another screen pops up that says "Windows is trying to fix the problem" After 2 minutes of that it closes. All I wanted was for the window to end but no Vista has to waste my time.

carlitos_way
03-23-2007, 05:17 PM

haven't you noticed hard problems with the JVM?

dodgem
04-07-2007, 12:02 AM
I installed Ubuntu about a week ago and had Beryl up and running almost straight afterwards -- i'd love to see Vista beat the GUI i have now ^^ On top of that it boots up superfast, i can run servers on it for no cost to help develop projects i'm working on, and the amount of help available on the internet is incredible... i don't think i'd let Vista anywhere near my pc now ;)

nexosis
04-07-2007, 10:15 AM
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2246/messageye6.png
end.

firepages
04-09-2007, 03:11 AM
grrrr ;) first off I am an Ubuntu user and doubt I am going to change anytime soon but FUD is not the way to get people to switch to linux.

1) A stable development platform
until I moved to linux fulltime I developed on win32 `stability` is an issue for the application & not since winXP an issue for the OS
2) Access to quick, easy, and helpful online support
cant actually argue with this one
3) Quick and reliable software patches and updates
nor with this one
4) Easy to use interface
`stolen` or otherwise windows GUI is easy to use (thats why linux desktops look so similar)
5) Ability to "get my hands dirty" with the system if I need to.
you still can with win32 through MS development addons (free) and third party tools
6) Ability to run servers as needed without extra licensing - typical include web server, database server, mail server, dns server and more
Apache,PHP,PERL,MySQL,FireBird,BIND,$favourite_mail_port (built-in file sharing) all FREE
7) Ability to do basic to moderate graphics editing
more than moderate, all the best graphics software is win32/mac only _ GIMP is still free for win32 users
8) Ability to play my music
$x possibilities .. do you want me to list them all [Y/N]
9) Ability to watch DVDs
$x possibilities .. do you want me to list them all [Y/N]
10) Some type of affordable Office Suite
OpenOffice is as free on win32 as it is on Linux

the reasons for moving to linux are manyfold and the easiest legitimate ones are security based, after that Linux still has poor software support ... and great software support all at the same time .. depends where you are coming from and how you look at it ..

e.g I need graphics but the gimp does not do it for me (other than really quick simple stuff) so I run photoshop in an XP virtual machine on VMware for that + Flash & for some silly things that are win32 only (like decent NDAS support) + of course IE testing.

I personally leave the gaming to the Xbox or PS so for me gaming issues are errr not an issue.

The issue is that people read posts like these and go and get linux ... then wonder why they don't have decent graphics anymore (unless they lucky and have nVidia hardware (ati drivers suck))

So.. want to watch your DVD's ? ... errr not till you find the right apt-get incantation to download the tainted codecs ... and even then not until you realize that you have to change your sources lists for apt to even know about such.

Then wonder why they only have 1 or 2 of the CPU's they paid for (apt-get install linux-$ver-generic)

Then after an auto-update of the kernel wonder why VMware does not work anymore ... a recompilation solves ... but out of the box you cant recompile because for some reason ubuntu left `build-essential` & friends out of the default distro ...

I could go on but I do not want to dis my favourite distro anymore but there are far more issues for average computer users on linux than win32, its as simple as that, until these issues are sorted telling people how easy it is is not really truthful or helpful

..................on a brighter note..........................
once you get over the initial frustrations ... debian based linux is a liberator on many many levels & currently win32/64 has little else to tempt me back to win32 for everyday work.

for those trying Debian based distro's...
google for apt-get and learn about repositories

google for automatix .. it will help you install some of the basics that are missing (extra fonts, DVD & music codecs, decent graphics drivers etc)

want to know what packages are available ? (or use synaptic)
# apt-cache search music

download and install VMware (its free) so you can run win32 apps if you need to (and test other linux OS's)

need wireless ? google for ndiswrapper
got wireless still cant connect ? get google for wifi-radar

want to access ntfs rw ? # apt-get install ntfs-3g

if you have an nVidia graphics card google for and install Beryl and show your Vista & mac friends what `cool` really means.

If you do not have an nVidia graphics card ....get one

firepages
04-09-2007, 03:19 AM
PS ... yes IMO vista sucks (in that it is not much more than a prettier XP with UAC that does no more than annoy you enough to turn it off)
but for a computer noob it would be easier to use than linux

twodayslate
04-09-2007, 03:25 AM
for a computer noob it would be easier to use than linuxI think that is who microsoft is targeting.

Sman5109
04-10-2007, 06:26 AM
I have Vista Ultimate, and its not that bad. It is faster then XP and safer then XP. But still, I hate microsoft, and the only reason im using Vista is because im waiting for (I believe) April 19th for Ubuntu 7.04 Final to be released.

the-dream
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Mac's are great!

ghell
04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I dual boot Vista Ultimate x64 and Fedora Core 6 x86_64.

I use Beryl on Fedora so vista's eyecandy isn't anything special to me, but at least in Vista I can use SLI finally (I have 2 XFX Extreme 7900GTs, which had problems with SLI in XP, but seem to be gone thus far under Vista)

I have heard a lot of bad things about vista, but not actually experienced any (the only single problem I have had with it is the eclipse svn plugin subclipse doesn't work with javahl under 64bit, but I just use SVNkit instead)

I think that a lot of people seem to hate microsoft so badly that they won't give an unbiased opinion, or judge the software before even trying it.

As for some of those 10 reasons to switch to windows (I don't think you should switch to windows but I'm just pointing out some things from my experience in windows' defence)

I think windows is a pretty stable development platform, I would stick to linux though.

The interface on vista isn't too bad, they seem to have made advanced network adminstration a total pain, but then without NetworkManager it can be in Fedora too. Most of the vanilla linux laptops (with added IPW firmware) I have used seem to have the problem of being able to connect to a wireless network when it is set up then a few days later all of a sudden the wireless stops existing...

As for the ability to play music.. it was a nightmare to set up my es1869f chip on an old Compaq DeskPro under ubuntu (I could end up getting it working under dapper but not edgy) and I'm pretty sure theres still no xfi compatible driver for linux, so thats sound on my computer out the window.

OpenOffice.org also comes in windows flavour, I use it on both of my boots here.

Sman5109
04-26-2007, 05:55 AM
I think that a lot of people seem to hate microsoft so badly that they won't give an unbiased opinion, or judge the software before even trying it.

I hate Microsoft because they made IE.......Why cant they just get it right :(

ghell
04-28-2007, 11:27 AM
Well IE WAS the first browser to support any kind of standards in javascript (ie jscript) AND they invented a:hover (:hover was later put into the css2 standard) but its a shame that they believe that the current CSS standards are flawed

Another bad thing about ie is its just too good at displaying broken websites, so morons who only test their site in IE produce problems for anyone on other browsers which aren't as good at displaying broken pages, or just display them in a different way (enter html5) for example see this site (http://eng.pristontale.com/) in ie 6+ then see it in firefox. Most of those graphical problems are because the css tries to use fonts like font-family: "Arial"; (which will try to look for a font called "Arial" including the "s!)

Don't get me started on activex controls, I don't know what IE7 does to prevent them but imho they should be totally scrapped.

However, back on topic, I think microsoft made quite a few improvements in their vista release, including large scale public pre release testing, which is something open source applications normally benefit from.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum