View Full Version : Get PART of a file (via ID)

croatiankid
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
So I want to get part of a file, specifically everything WITHIN the div id="left". I have this code, but it gets the whole file. I want to use this to edit a remote file (test.html).

<?
$myHTMLFile = "test.html";
$myHTML = implode( file( $myHTMLFile ), "" );

if ( $save ) {
$tmpfile = fopen( $myHTMLFile, "w" );
$fp = fwrite( $tmpfile, $myHTMLText );
fclose($tmpfile);
}
?>

<html>
<head>
<title>Update.php</title>
</head>
<body>
<div align=center>
<form action="update.php">
<textarea name="myHTMLText" rows=35 cols=70><? echo $myHTML ?></textarea>
<br>
<input type="submit" name="save" value="save">
</form>
</div>
</body>
</html> .
The above file will be for example Update.php

I just edited this, what was written here before is no longer needed, just the part about getting part of the file via ID.

Inigoesdr
03-06-2007, 09:09 PM
You would have to use preg_replace() (http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.preg-replace.php) or ereg_replace() to search the file to replace the text. Ex.:

$line = preg_replace('/<div id="left">(.*)<\/div>/', $newtext, $line);

Or preg_match() (http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.preg-match.php) to just get the text.

croatiankid
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
So how would I use that in the above code? I didn't write the above code and don't really understand arrays (only basic PHP). I mean I see how I can get the text, but firstly I need to tell it to stop at the first </div> after, then i need to get that text in the text area, and THEN I need to replace it.

Another thing: would this be easier with just a simple .txt file that would be included in the div, and in effect this script would just edit the txt file? hmm yes I think I"ll do it that way?

aedrin
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
would this be easier with just a simple .txt file that would be included in the div, and in effect this script would just edit the txt file? hmm yes I think I"ll do it that way?

Easier, and more reliable.

And arrays are your friend, practice using them. They're really simple yet powerful.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum