View Full Version : Ripped Website

8mycsh
12-03-2002, 07:27 AM
I have a friend who's site was ripped. I once came across a website where you can report ripped websites, but I can't remember it. Can any one help me out.

Thanks

zoobie
12-03-2002, 07:51 AM
www.pirated-sites.com ?

ionsurge
12-03-2002, 09:59 AM
It doesnt seem as if pirated sites actually takes it seriously tho...

Ionsurge.

ronaldb66
12-03-2002, 10:23 AM
Can you give us both URLs so we can take a look ourselves?
Anyway: i'd suggest contacting the webmaster(s) of the eledged ripped site and politely request to come up with a design of their own, or at least ask if they can use someone else's work in the future.
Don't be mistaken about the amount of copying going on all over the web; it's something you hardly can control nor restrict, you can really only appeal to a person's good manners and pride. If someone has neither, there's not a lot you can do.

8mycsh
12-03-2002, 03:15 PM
www.depthcore.com - orignal

digilander.libero.it/ztxp/index.htm - ripped

If you look in the source code of the ripped site...they left abunch of depthcore links and coding/ references in there.

ionsurge
12-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Yours was .php, and theirs is a .html... they blatently done a File->Save As job on it... and altered the content with something like FrontPage. What is worse, is that they made it look significantly worse. They did no justice at all.

If only we had their address, and a few poking rods.

Ionsurge.

pharma
12-03-2002, 06:16 PM
Oh my... another ripper. That was the worst ripped site that I ever saw... as what ionsurge said, the site was "Saved As," done some content changes and there you go! A template based website.

Maybe a newbie again....

undyingfires
12-03-2002, 08:25 PM
...not much you can do but booooo to those riptees.. :(
Take out the ruler and slap them over the wrist.

On a lighter note though,
the original site looks really good btw :) just thought I'd say that. I think he did an excellent job. :thumbsup:

I'd suggest, like mentioned previously, to tell / hint at etc. etc., those individuals whom did the stealing.

realisis
12-03-2002, 09:17 PM
Well, they do link to a public board... you could start a thread on the board pointing out what a ripoff digilander is...

http://www.gamesplanet.it/cgi-bin/forumg/YaBB.cgi/YaBB.cgi?board=general_zt

in the meantime, addresses anyone?

Whois digilander.com
TUCOWS, INC.
Registrant:
Private
Via Vittorio Amedeo II n. 14
Torino, 10121
IT
Domain Name: DIGILANDER.COM
Administrative Contact:
Passanisi, Marco marco@passanisi.it
Torino, 10121
IT
+39.0115178527
Technical Contact:
Passanisi, Marco marco@passanisi.it
Torino, 10121
IT
+39.0115178527

Registration Service Provider:
Internet Gateway Inc, billing@igateway.net
800-358-6429
636-936-0054 (fax)
http://www.igateway.net/

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 05-May-2002.
Record expires on 04-May-2003.
Record Created on 04-May-2000.
Domain servers in listed order:
ADVANCES2.ADVANCES.NET 209.203.196.66
ADVANCES3.ADVANCES.NET 209.203.193.69

Whois digilander.net
Francesco Boni
Via F.Confalonieri n.10
Firenze, Italy 50133
IT
Domain Name: DIGILANDER.NET
Administrative Contact:
Francesco Boni il.leone@libero.it
Francesco Boni
Via F.Confalonieri n.10
Firenze, Italy 50133
IT
Phone: +39-055-587217
Fax: +39-055-587217
Technical Contact:
Bruno Castelnuovo info@brunocastelnuovo.com
P-C Group srl
Viale C.T Odescalchi n.47
Roma, 00147
IT
Phone: +39-0342-517855
Fax: +39-0342-573316
Record updated on 2001-01-17 00:00:00
Record created on 2001-01-17
Record expires on 2003-01-17
Database last updated on 2002-12-03 16:07:09 EST
Domain servers in listed order:
DNS.P-CGROUP.COM 213.82.103.100
DNS2.P-CGROUP.COM 213.82.103.110

Register your domain name at http://www.bulkregister.com

ronaldb66
12-04-2002, 09:38 AM
Yeah, the original does look a lot better; talk about your basic cheap rip-off... :mad: I especially like :rolleyes: the "Zero Tollerance"; dictionary, anyone? :confused:

undyingfires
12-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Tell him to ask them if they would prefer to be invoiced monthly or quarterly...
LOL, actually that's a great idea! Coverz : D

ionsurge
12-04-2002, 01:53 PM
You are at liberty to get royalties...

Ionsurge.

Borgtex
12-04-2002, 05:47 PM
The demostration of wich kind of "designer" is who steals a design is that any modification that he adds to a ripped site always make it worse; look at the blurry menu buttons, the inappropriate fonts, the jagged "News", and the title of the web, that is just a capture of the original and as if that was not enough, bad cropped.

The guy it's like a farmer using a Rolls-Royce to cultivate potatoes. Francesco, if you steal, at least DO IT WITH STYLE! :mad:

btw: no jokes about my signature, pls ;)

ionsurge
12-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Nice post mate.

Ionsurge.

Vladdy
12-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Borgtex
Francesco, if you steal, at least DO IT WITH STYLE!
If he had any idea about style (in all possible meanings of this word), would he have a need to steal someone else's design? ;)

zoobie
12-04-2002, 08:26 PM
Looks like a template I've seen somewhere before...:D

undyingfires
12-04-2002, 08:57 PM
:thumbsup: Vladdy

Wow.. this issue has really delivered a lot of feedback ;)

pardicity3
12-04-2002, 10:07 PM
From what I have heard, it is pretty tough, if not impossible, to settle on something like this. What is not tough is threatning to sue the guy. Who knows, if he is ameture enough to rip a website than maybe he is ameture enough to get scared and ditch the site...

Also, I think it always helps to tell everyone that is involved in your community (seems to be a pretty decent community too!) and get them involved. Not that it is always good...but flaming somone does get the point across ;) . Maybe tell your friend to post a news article about the site rip on his homepage. It might just work...

P.S. How do you spell ameture....arghh....it just doesn't look right!!

joh6nn
12-04-2002, 11:51 PM
threatening to sue, probably won't work. i don't know if anyone else noticed, the ripper's site is all in italian.

i'll suggest what i always do. a polite email, and a link from your site, to the ripper's site, pointing out that he stole it. he'll probably change it after that.

mouse
12-05-2002, 08:51 AM
That's a disgrace actually, the original is a sweet site, that they've the nerve to carbon copy it AND run a forum is laughable.

You probably won't need to sue, simply approach and the Italian will dive, roll on the ground clutching one or both ankles and maybe his head all at once...:)

ronaldb66
12-05-2002, 09:46 AM
Pardicity3,

"Amateur" (it's originally french);

Coverz,

translation? My Italian is about as good as my Russian. Or my Chinese, for that matter.

Bullocks
12-06-2002, 10:56 PM
I hate it when people do crap like that. People put so much time and effort into creating websites, and others just turn around and blatantly take them, with no regard for the work that people have to do. I wonder if they even feel badly that what they're calling their own doesn't even belong to them!

zoobie
12-07-2002, 01:22 AM
I must disagree...I think it's a pretty crummy site to be ripping off...Bad color scheme, 40+ images on index, slow-loading, great for color-blind visitors, and using the Zoobie scale of lameness, I'd give it a 9 out of 10. It reeks of templatitus. :D

Niytros1
01-09-2003, 10:28 PM
Heh...that isnt a template. I Created www.depthcore.com Its made from scratch. template..bah. If you would have looked its an ART site for displaying our ART thats why it has so many jpegs on the front page. I Give you 9/10 on the idiot scale. I hate when forum whores they know it all

krycek
01-09-2003, 11:09 PM
[EDIT: Never mind. I don't want to get involved.]

::] krycek [::

CRASH_OVERRIDE
01-10-2003, 01:46 AM
Unless he's his own server, you could probably report him to his hosting site and tell them the deal. If they have any sense of ethics, they will probably remove it.:D

BTW
GREAT website- definetely going into favorites... People that steal a great site like that need to be shot Just kidding ;)

redhead
01-10-2003, 04:44 PM
took a long time to load, and im on ADSL... i can only feel sorry for your 56k visitors.:eek:

undyingfires
01-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Personally, I like dark colour schemes over light whiteness.
And I still visit and enjoy going to the site. The flash up at the top is really neat. ..must learn flash.. :(

I see the other site (em-pirates) have a site coming. Been awhile since I've even seen posts for this topic, it just got reactivated I guess.

Anyhow, regarding colour in general. I'm sure there's a lot of sites to test this, but I have a site we use for our pages (work-wise) cause we haveta accommodate individuals with colour-blindness.

They can do sites but recently this has somewhat stopped due to reasons. They do, do images however.

http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/
:)

..oh and it loads pretty well over here. Mind you, we've got a TI..
Though I'd have to say, the wallpapers take quite awhile but that all depends on who's surfing and all.

AshleyQuick
06-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Original:

www.gatequest.net

Pirated:

http://www.centromediagroup.com/home.php

:(

sweenster
06-28-2005, 07:26 PM
the stupidity of some people on this planet beggars belief sometimes... after ripping off a website the last thing you would surely do is put your name, address and phone number on the registration details:

http://amail.co.uk/cgi-bin/adetails.pl?domain=centromediagroup.com&brand=amail

(last item at the bottom)

AshleyQuick
06-28-2005, 08:12 PM
the stupidity of some people on this planet beggars belief sometimes... after ripping off a website the last thing you would surely do is put your name, address and phone number on the registration details:

http://amail.co.uk/cgi-bin/adetails.pl?domain=centromediagroup.com&brand=amail

(last item at the bottom)

Incredulous isn't it? :confused:

_Aerospace_Eng_
06-28-2005, 08:39 PM
Ashley your site wouldn't happen to be a template would it? If it is a template then its likely that the other site has the same template. Templates are meant to be used by more than one person.

AshleyQuick
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
Ashley your site wouldn't happen to be a template would it? If it is a template then its likely that the other site has the same template. Templates are meant to be used by more than one person.

Not in the least.

oracleguy
06-28-2005, 11:09 PM
The WHOIS database was down when I tried to click on that link. But if their hosting provider is listed as like the technical contact on the domain, I'd give them a call and tell them they are hosting illegal materials and they will hopefully not like it and pull the plug on their site. That won't stop them from just getting a different host but when they lose their account because they were found out, maybe they will think twice.

You can also try contacting them, write up a good letter with like an official letterhead and stuff and express your annoyance at their copyright violation. That might get a response out of them.

AshleyQuick
06-29-2005, 05:25 AM
If you google GateQuest, look what appears on page 3:

:: CentroMediaGroup, Inc ::
GateQuest Home Page, GateQuest Customer Support Options Support ... GateQuest, Inc.
Web design, web development, marketing and branding.
www.centromediagroup.com/support/index.php - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Viewing the source made me nauseous. Why would someone take so much time emulating another site? It's not only egregious, it would seem to take a vast amount of time. Creating something from scratch would be far less meticulous!

tboss132
06-29-2005, 08:43 AM
OMG, That's like copy and pasting. They don't have as much functions as you have though. I suggest you approach their host and let them look into it while their site's still in the early stages. Once they begin adding functions and stuff, they can easily say you copied them.

AshleyQuick
06-29-2005, 06:13 PM
OMG, That's like copy and pasting. They don't have as much functions as you have though. I suggest you approach their host and let them look into it while their site's still in the early stages. Once they begin adding functions and stuff, they can easily say you copied them.

Good point. I'm composing an email today.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum