View Full Version : Mockup Review - Chilipie Sahara

02-25-2007, 07:13 PM
Long time no see CFers :p

I was feeling creative this afternoon, and came up with this: http://chilipie.co.uk/mockup.png

What do you like/dislike?

I'd also appreciate some tips on how to put the darned thing together (ie. how to slice the image up and put it back together again, layout wise), what with me being a bit out of practice with this web developing malarkey.


02-26-2007, 10:50 AM
My my, I remember chatting to you yonks ago.

Very nice site design. You're much better since I last checked out your work. The only thing I am unsure about is the font in the top left-hand ribbon strip thing. That's about all i can make a comment on really. The colour theme works nicely

02-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Cheers Kezzer, much appreciated :)

I agree with you on the banner font, tbh - the only reason I used it is because I also used it for the inky "Sahara" text in the header. Any suggestions for a replacement font face?

I'm currently (sloppily) coding up the stylesheet - I've not run in to any big problems yet, but I'm sure I will do, especially when it comes to the cross-browser stuff.

02-27-2007, 01:35 AM
ditto. me like. I reaal yliker the simple color use where the header is the tan and then through the text the red is introduced producing the red footer. Very simply-clssy way to hold it all together.

Im not sure your final goal on it but I sliced some things up to see how it would go together.

Cutting the top out and around the bottom of the S going into the bod produces a 40k header image in gif format. The left banner doesnt like it, but everyhting else is negliable loss wise. I figure the left banner would be better an image by it's self and absolute positioned anyways.

doing the foot straight across and optimizing without much loss, nabbed a -10k jpg. Doing the top of the palm the same way got me a 7k image.

body - black w/sahara text
wrapper with the top image repeated, so a little work to be done
a header wth just the top image.
the container would have the top of the palm tree to the bottom left.
then a footer under the container set 100% width with a repeating red slice.
inside that just the bottom section of the footer.
should all line up fine.

granted a few nested divs but all as holders for a pseudo expanding layout.

should fall in under 90-100k without too much hassle.

02-27-2007, 01:42 PM
nice :)

02-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Harbinger and croatiankid, thanks. :)

I had go slicing it up before I saw your post, but I think your method is probably going to be easier to work with, so I'm gonna redo bits of it. I'll let you know when I've got a properly coded version up.