View Full Version : update page announcements?

murphyz
12-02-2002, 01:20 PM
Does anyone know of a way to have a page full of links which let you you know when the target page has been updated?

For example:
www .siteone. com - updated 2 days ago
www .sitetwo. com - updated 5 days ago

and so on, so that you can detect when the pages are updated through the one page rather than visiting the site itself?

Hope I explained well enough.

Thanks
Mxx

cg9com
12-02-2002, 03:45 PM
... i dont think so, you would just have to do it manually
unless there was a server side solution, in which case i cant help ya (yet *grin*)

murphyz
12-02-2002, 03:50 PM
diaryland.com has a feature that update their 'buddylist' in the way I mentioned so that whenever you go to a page it tells you when your 'buddies' last updated. I assume they can do this because they have access to the actual database, otherwise I'm not sure.

Wouldn't even know how to start about it :(

Mxx

cg9com
12-02-2002, 05:51 PM
do you have to sign up to see it in action?
it sounds server side.

Nightfire
12-02-2002, 06:43 PM
I'd assume it's serverside, as you can't connect to other sites and get info from them with JS (not that I know of anyway)

murphyz
12-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Yes, cg9com you do have to log in to see it in action. I have attached the source code of the buddylist page but can't see anything that stands out - I assume as he has the database he reads it from that somehow.

Thanks

Mxx

Nightfire
12-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Aye, it's using php and a database. Do you have php support?

murphyz
12-03-2002, 01:31 PM
My host allows php4. As far as their 'support' goes it's very lame. I'm trying to get information from them with regards to databases so I can set up a forum - let's just say they're a little slow to respond to my queries.

Do you think it will be possible for me to do it with php, any idea how?

Should I go repost in the php section?

Thanks

Mxx

cg9com
12-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by murphyz
I have attached the source code of the buddylist page but can't see anything that stands out

you wont, php coding cant be viewed with source, even if it was coded into the page.
as goes with any server side language.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum