View Full Version : disable smilies by default

joh6nn
12-01-2002, 07:23 AM
i'd like to suggest that smilies be disabled by default. i personally have never used a smiley, and when someone who is new to the forum ( or someone who's a regular forgets ) pastes in their code, then we end up with an assortment of smilies, and it's only by knowing what ought to be in the code, or by knowing what the smiley stands for, that heads or tales of it.

Mhtml
12-01-2002, 11:28 AM
I was thinking the very same thing today as I was making the smilie functions for my mini forum.

I think disabled by default is a good idea, being a coding forum and all.

scroots
12-01-2002, 01:36 PM
perhaps the solution would be to disable smilies in between the code tags.

scroots

cg9com
12-01-2002, 07:56 PM
thats a good idea scroots
can they just be disabled inside certain tags?

WA
12-01-2002, 10:34 PM
Unfortunately I don't believe VB is that refined yet as far as disabling smilies- it's all or nothing.

VB 3 is on its way out, so I'm simply leaving any changes to the forum until then. I don't like smilies either, actually, but disabling them universally might produce a lot of confused people. :confused:

cg9com
12-02-2002, 05:09 AM
who would be confused by it?

even if you did/could disable it for just one "code" tag, questions is how many people would use it.

ionsurge
12-02-2002, 12:16 PM
I think the smilies add a little fun into this place, and express what you would not really be able to express via writing.

It is not surprising that avs and sigs are disabled, but smilies should stay.

;)

Ionsurge.

joh6nn
12-03-2002, 09:03 AM
i'm not saying that we should get rid of smilies ( i personally don't like them, but that's just me ). i just think they should be turned off by default. the idea of turning them off inside of inside of the [code] tags is good, except that i think it already does that. also, the main problem with smilies, is new comers who post, and don't know to turn the smilies off. by the same logic, most of them won't know to put their code inside the [code] tags, either.

Wichetael
12-03-2002, 10:55 AM
nevermind

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum