View Full Version : Not quite sure how to do this

psionicbattousa
02-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I'm fairly new to javascript, I was wondering how to do something. I've got a site for my DnD campaign, and on it, there is a place for my players to post their characters' journal entries. I developed a form that will allow them to post enter their journal entries online. I was wondering how to go about doing something like that, that will work in both IE and Firefox. Just a push in the right direction would be nice, I'm not asking for all of the code or anything (Unless someone has code of this nature and is willing to share. I wouldn't say no :D ). Anyways, thanks for your time.

TripperTreats
02-06-2007, 04:33 AM
if you want to have the journal entries appear permanently on the page, and not just for the individual who types it, you cannot use javascript because it is a client-side language. in other words, the server is done with you when it sends the webpage, and javascript adds bells and whistles on your side when you do stuff.

there are different options for what you need. you might try php or perl. there are also many, many, premade bulletin board templates out there that do all the work for you. i recommend you check these out, because if you are happy with your form, you can insert it into one of the many templates. they take care of difficult things like security, spam prevention, etc.

psionicbattousa
02-10-2007, 01:14 AM
if you want to have the journal entries appear permanently on the page, and not just for the individual who types it, you cannot use javascript because it is a client-side language. in other words, the server is done with you when it sends the webpage, and javascript adds bells and whistles on your side when you do stuff.

there are different options for what you need. you might try php or perl. there are also many, many, premade bulletin board templates out there that do all the work for you. i recommend you check these out, because if you are happy with your form, you can insert it into one of the many templates. they take care of difficult things like security, spam prevention, etc.

Where could I go to find such a thing? I'd look myself, but I don't know what's good for this sort of thing, so if you could just point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

_Aerospace_Eng_
02-10-2007, 01:23 AM
php www.hotscripts.com good luck.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum