View Full Version : mail function not working

02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
I can't get my form on this page (http://www.parklandbaptistchurch.org/contact.html) to actually send email.

if(($message != "") && ($message != 'Message')){
if($realname!=''){$postrealname='Name: ' . $realname . "\n";};
if(($email!='') && (ereg('@',$email))) {$postemail='Email: ' . $email . "\n";};
$message = stripslashes($message);

$to='pastor's email address';
$to='associate minister's email address';
$to='youth minister's email address';
$to='my email address';
$subject = "from parklandbaptistchurch.org";
$message=$message . "\n" . $postrealname . $postemail;

$headers = "From: " . $realname . " <" . $email . ">\r\n";

mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
echo '<p>Your message has been sent.</p>';
else { ?>

<h2>Contact Us</h2>

<p><strong>Parkland Baptist Church</strong><br />
7206 Shepherdsville Rd., Louisville, Kentucky 40219, United States<br />
Phone: 502-969-1387<br />
Fax: 502-969-1388</p>

<form action="contact.html?action=send" method="post">
<legend>E-mail form</legend>
<label for="name">Name:</label><input type="text" id="name" name="realname" value="Name" onfocus="clearDefault(this)" onblur="insertDefault(this)" class="form" />
<label for="email">Email:</label><input type="text" id="email" name="email" value="Email Address" onfocus="clearDefault(this)" onblur="insertDefault(this)" class="form" />
<label for="to">Who would you like to contact?</label><select><option value="pastor">Pastor Tom Curry</option><option value="associate">Associate Minister Todd Beasley</option><option value="youth">Youth Minister Beth Turpin</option><option value="web">Web Developer Chris Huff</option></select>
<label for="message">Message:</label><textarea id="message" name="message" rows="3" cols="25" onfocus="clearDefault(this)" onblur="insertDefault(this)" class="form">Message</textarea>
<p><em>* All fields are required</em></p>
<input type="submit" value="send" class="submit" /> <input type="reset" class="submit" value="clear" />

<?php } ?>

Here's my phpinfo (http://www.parklandbaptistchurch.org/phpinfo.php) if that's helpful. I noticed that I doesn't have a MAIL or _ENV["MAIL"] variable like other domains that I have. Is this the problem? If so, how do I add it?

02-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Is your server set-up so that .html file extensions are
processed as PHP scripts? If not, rename the extension
to .php and change your <form> line.

02-02-2007, 05:02 PM
You must also make sure that the smtp server is set up on your web server so that you can actually send mail.

02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Yes, html files are parsed for php.

And yes, it appears that smtp is set up. Any other ideas?

02-02-2007, 06:33 PM
I get a fatel parse error when testing the code (looking for typo's, syntax errors...) This line is not valid code -

02-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Sorry, when I was editing out email addresses I wrote an error into the code. It's fixed now.

I've verified that this does work on my own local server, but it won't work once I upload it to the web server. What variables on that side of things might be causing this not to work?

02-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Check your server error log and/or put the following after your first opening <?php tag -

ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);This will tell you if the mail(...) function call is failing. Also, it would not hurt to put if(mail(...)){ succeeded.. } else { failed... } conditional logic around the mail(...) function call.

02-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Thank you so much. It's working now. Turning on errors helped me find the problem (I should have done that in the beginning...).