View Full Version : holding variables between pages

tribalmaniac
01-31-2007, 01:18 PM
I have a registration form, with quite a bit of validation, if something doesnt match, then the php script will throw up an error with a "click here to go back"

When the user goes back using their browser or following the link, the variables of username, password etc etc dissapear causing the user to re-type everything, how can I stop this?

Mhtml
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Either pass the variables with a query string or a cookie or session variable.

Example:

<input type="text" name="user" value="<?php echo $_GET['user'] ?>" />

On the "click here to go back" link you'd have-

<a href="url.php?user=<?php echo $_POST['user']; ?>">click here to go back</a>

Get it? Obviously you'd be best off doing it a bit more cleaner than that, but those are your options (query, cookie, session) and they're all similar to implement.

[edit:] If you really wanted, you *could* post them back as well with a bit of js.

tribalmaniac
01-31-2007, 02:27 PM
thanks for the fast reply!

The thing is, there is alot of information that will need to be moved around. The form uses "POST" to post to the next page, is there a way of transferring the data without the user knowing (without using sessions or cookies?) SOrry if you've already answered this :)

Matt

Mhtml
01-31-2007, 02:31 PM
Well, you can store the info somewhere.. But you're still going to need a way to associate that user with the data.. either sessions or a cookie..

tribalmaniac
01-31-2007, 02:47 PM
right ok thanks :)

Im sorry if this is really stupid, but when i post the information, I assign the information to the session like this:

$_SESSION['usernamestored'] = $_POST['username'];

and then on the first page (the one they entered the info on) I enter this:

echo('<input type="text" class="smallform" name="username" value="'.$_SESSION['usernamestored'].'" />');

but the input box appears blank?

Mhtml
01-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Have you:

session_start()???

CFMaBiSmAd
01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Do you have a session_start(); php statement as the first thing on every page that references any $_SESSION variable?

tribalmaniac
01-31-2007, 03:04 PM
yeah, that's on the top of every page

Mhtml
01-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Well that just leaves it down the $_POST['var'] being empty.

tribalmaniac
01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
haha how stupid!
That was the problem! I managed to fix it now! thank you both very much :)

Mhtml
01-31-2007, 04:05 PM
No problem.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum