View Full Version : Which Program for CSS/HTML?

Powered
01-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I'm currently building a CSS/HTML website in Notepad, its going well but I keep getting delayed on snags such as columns of width and the clear div. I have been looking at the new NetObjects Fusion program which is out soon. Magazines are presenting it as its extremely easy to use, you just placed your contebt where you want it and off it creates a webpage for you.

So what I'm asking is if you were to create a simple CSS site what program would you use and how simple are programs such as NetObjects to use. Would you still have to input clear divs for the shorter columns?

Excavator
01-28-2007, 01:07 AM
I think hand coding is the best, though I use DreamWeaver for doing it (I like the tips and dual screen support). There is no good shortcut for learning how to code. There are shortcuts - programs that claim to do it all for you. You just have to learn the program though, and it seems all of those produce really crappy code ... so you might as well learn how to code in the first place.

Powered
01-28-2007, 02:00 AM
So if I bought a copy of NetObects I would still have problems such as clear divs and borders not stretching over hearder and columns?

Arbitrator
01-28-2007, 02:41 AM
So if I bought a copy of NetObects I would still have problems such as clear divs and borders not stretching over hearder and columns?Iím not sure that even todayís programs are clever enough to do things like automatically clear elements for you. Iím sure that they can do a poorly coded table‐based layout where clearing isnít necessary though.

Anyway, I find it amusing that you want to pay for the problem to go away instead of actually learning how to fix it. You should use a program as a tool, not a crutch. You can learn how to clear elements for free on pages like Clearing Space (http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ClearingSpace). It even explains how the CSS float model works if you click the Containing Floats link near the top right.

Powered
01-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Well I tried the bottom method of clearing space, what method do you use?

Arbitrator
01-28-2007, 03:11 AM
Well I tried the bottom method of clearing space, what method do you use?The first one: oveflow: auto.

Powered
01-28-2007, 03:18 AM
I've tried that and I cant get it to work, do you have a working example I can see?

Arbitrator
01-28-2007, 04:01 AM
I've tried that and I cant get it to work, do you have a working example I can see?Hereís an example. (http://jsg.byethost4.com/demos/CF%20106128.html) Replace the floated images with floated columns if you want. The effect is still the same.

Powered
01-28-2007, 04:51 AM
I kind of understand it. Do you have any examples of just columns. Lets 3 columns. Columns 1 an 2 are 500px tall and column 3 is only 100px tall, how would also get column 3 to appear 500px tall? Use the same code?

I've copied the heading code and it works perfectly in IE but goes all bad in Firefox. Its ridiculous, why cant they use the same standards.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum