View Full Version : Help using an array to update a table.

canada4ever
01-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi there.
I'm a definite php noob. What I'm trying to do is pull a couple variables off a table. Then update some variables and upload them to the server. I'm very badly confused right now. I keep trying things but I'm in over my head. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Matthew.

$sql = "SELECT id, stats_income, stats_gold, stats_farming, stats_food FROM stats";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
while ($stats = mysql_fetch_array($result));
{
$stats[$stats[id]] = $stats[id];
$stats_income[$stats[id]] = $stats[stats_income];
}
mysql_free_result($result);
foreach ($stats as $key => $val) {
$sql = "UPDATE stats
SET stats_gold = 200000
stats_turns = 200000
stats_food = 21111111
WHERE stats.id='$key'";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

lavinpj1
01-28-2007, 03:08 AM
I don't understand what you're trying to do. Could you clarify?

~Phil~

guelphdad
01-28-2007, 04:28 AM
you don't need the select statement if you are just updating your table.

Erockrm1
01-28-2007, 07:44 AM
you don't need the select statement if you are just updating your table.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to pull data from a SQL table and then re-enter new information.

canada4ever
01-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Sorry.... Let me try to clarify. What I'd like to do is that when this script is used I'd like it to pull stats_income and stats_farming then update stats_gold and stats_food to equal the original values for those two variables plus stats_income and stats_farming. I'd like to do this for all the entries in the table at once, hence the need for the array which I've never used before. Instead of update stats_gold = 200000 it should say update stats_gold = $stats_income +$stats_gold or something but I was messing around with something.
I hope that cleared it up a little.

Thanks a bunch!
Matthew

CFMaBiSmAd
01-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Without asking why you would want to do this (it is generally a bad table design where a column contains a value that is calculated from other columns and you must execute whole table scans to maintain the values), you can do this all at once as guelphdad posted.

If I understand your statement, this should update all the rows in your table at once -

$sql = "UPDATE stats
SET stats_gold = stats_gold + stats_income,
stats_food = stats_food + stats_farming
";

guelphdad
01-29-2007, 02:15 AM
can you show some sample rows from your table and what you are trying to accomplish?

and no, you don't need to do a select if you are doing an update. you can update your entire table all at once if you need to and do a calculation from other columns while doing it.

canada4ever
01-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Alrighty..... here's an example of a row.

id | stats_population | stats_gold | stats_income | stats_food | stats_farming | stats_food | stats_turn
1 | 11 | 100 | 23 | 80 | 5 | 80 | 0

Shoot that's kinda hard to read sorry.
So what I would like the script to do is to update a new stats_gold that = stats_gold + stats_income, stats_food would be stats_food + stats_farming. I need it to update those stats for every row in the table.

Thanks for everyone whose tried to help and put up with me!

Matthew.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum