View Full Version : Review wanted and suggestions for slide show

Karen S. Garvin
01-22-2007, 04:13 PM
Hi all,

Please take a look at my site Tangent Graphics (http://www.tangentgraphics.com) and give me feedback on layout, usability, navigation, etc. I will be adding more artwork, so I know the "galleries" are a bit lacking at the moment. I want to get some order established before I load up the HTML with lots of images. :)

A few specific things I'd like to address:

1) Is the Tangent Graphics logo too big?

2) On the home page, look at the zebra pic in the right column. I'm thinking of either having this image randomly change (i.e., each time the page is reloaded) or else put a slideshow there. Any suggestions on what is a better solution? I'm thinking the slideshow would give viewers a way to see more art without having to navigate through the site to the galleries.

3) Go to the galleries page and look at the right column. I've put more navigation here for individual gallery pages. I don't know if this is a good idea or not; I expect it'll work until I add more than one page per gallery. Any suggestions on how I can build in expandability? I mean, so when I have multiple gallery pages the viewer can go from one to one without having to go to the top?

01-23-2007, 05:31 AM
Clean and simple, but I don't really like all the whitespace at the bottom. I also think a slideshow would be cool for the pictures. I have seen it on other photography sites. Nice Job.

01-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Hello Karen S. Garvin,
Kind of an odd thing I noticed:
narrow footer (height)
slow to follow text on resize

Wide footer (height)
Does not follow text on resize until you let go of the left-click on your mouse.

Never seen that before! (it's your js that's causing it)

Karen S. Garvin
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, I thought it was slow, too, but maybe it was my computer. I picked up most of the javascript from free code sites, so I'm going to have to dig into that some more. I think I need to find a way to jettison the javascript and get the columns fixed by using CSS only. Back to the drawing board...

01-23-2007, 07:49 PM
I didn't find it that slow... but here are my suggestions....

-Your logo isn't too big on my screen resolution (1024x786) but when I resize my browser your logo becomes partially hidden. You might want to change your CSS to % if it isn't already.
-The zebra image as a changing image would be a good idea.... such as on sympatico.ca where it rotates through the daily content.
-The sub-menus on the image gallery pages are rather confusing for me... they look alot like google adsense and at first I was hesistant to click them because I thought they were sponsored ads, so you might consider adding a heading such as Gallery Navigation or something.
-On the homepage I would suggest having all the columns strecth the entire length of the page/browser and scroll if necessary, as right now the bottom part looks rather empty.

But overall fairly good!

01-24-2007, 03:51 AM
the right nav on the gallery: the links at top sit right on the text. possibly move it up some.

make your #topmain not have a fixed height so you can resize the text without breaking it.

Make your #contentcolum have a min-width and that will allow your logo to not get eaten on resize.