View Full Version : Free graphics program?

napster
01-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Any good ones out there?
Just to make simple logos, banners and buttons etc.
Thank you.

ess
01-20-2007, 12:36 AM
Try GIMP...usually used by Linux graphic designers. You can download use it on Windows, Mac, Linux etc.

http://www.gimp.org/

cheers,
Ess

CMHBowlan
01-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Also, just to let you know, GIMP requires GTK (a plug-in) to be running before you install it. You can get it on their Web site. GIMP is the Adobe Photo Shop of most Linux distros.

InsideLine
01-20-2007, 03:24 PM
GIMP is good for those who dont do a whole lot of heavy professional graphic design, but I wouldn't recommend it to be used as something to replace Photoshop. Some of the anti-aliasing is poor, and some of the gradients aren't rendered very well.

CMHBowlan
01-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Well, I have a lot of friends who use it to do stuff like that, and it works just as well. You just have to know how to use it. :)

felgall
01-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Also, just to let you know, GIMP requires GTK (a plug-in) to be running before you install it. You can get it on their Web site. GIMP is the Adobe Photo Shop of most Linux distros.

I have installed and used GIMP and never had to install any plugin in order to be able to use it on my Windows computer - maybe the plugin is only required on certain operating systems.

bin
01-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I like serif draw plus you can animate and get some good results with time, the older version's are free from www.freeserifsoftware.com/

JimmyNavio
01-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah, there are two installs, one that comes with GTK, and one that comes without, so you probably didn't even realize that you installed it. Either that, or you have another program that already required GTK like GAIM installed, so it was already there when you installed GIMP. Either way, GIMP does required GTK.

ConnorB
01-26-2007, 04:39 AM
I have installed and used GIMP and never had to install any plugin in order to be able to use it on my Windows computer - maybe the plugin is only required on certain operating systems.

GTK is pre-installed on most Linux distros.

Hubba bubba
01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Any good ones out there?
Just to make simple logos, banners and buttons etc.
Thank you.

Hey,

Not that GIMP is bad, but you should really consider a vector program like inkscape for creating logos and buttons. And if you for some reason would like to use a bitmap copy of your works it is just to export it as a png or whatever.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum