View Full Version : Web Site Competition!

ikilledsanta
01-17-2007, 05:13 AM
The sites are all turned in. Which do you think is better?

1) http://www1.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~durant.high/fbla2/index.htm

2) http://www1.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~durant.high/fbla/index.htm

The difference between the urls is a "2", if you can't tell.

This isn't a problem I'm having, I just want to see what you guys think. I didn't know what forum to put it in, but this seemed the best.

I'm not gonna say which is mine until a few posts down, just in case you're just trying to be nice.

bcarl314
01-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Just to clarify, I voted for "2" in the poll, which is "2" in your post, but I noticed that link "1" actually has the "2". ;)

Also, just a thought, but maybe the "Site Reviews" forum might be the best place to get feedback on a "Site Review". Maybe it's just me though ;)

Graft-Creative
01-17-2007, 10:16 AM
This one: (http://www1.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~durant.high/fbla/home.htm)

The other one has an interminable flash intro (I'm on pretty fast broadband here too) that gives no indication of loading progress - I skipped it in the end.

The one I voted for presents the info nicely, and very clearly too.

Kind regards,

Gary

jpamorgan
01-24-2007, 02:46 AM
This one: (http://www1.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~durant.high/fbla/home.htm)

The other one has an interminable flash intro (I'm on pretty fast broadband here too) that gives no indication of loading progress - I skipped it in the end.

The one I voted for presents the info nicely, and very clearly too.

I concur...

harbingerOTV
01-24-2007, 03:40 AM
http://www1.sdhc.k12.fl.us/~durant.high/fbla/home.htm

that one. I didn't look at either intro. the first one looks really unfinished and the links on the side are all screwy. Second one looks more finished. sure some work can be done to tighten it up, but comparably it looks liek 2 different people did them.

ikilledsanta
02-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Well, mine was #1, the one that only received 1 vote. We won the competition though, got first place in district. State competitions are in April. The other site didn't even place in the top 3 in district (they only announced top 3). Some of the stuff you guys wrote made me think I should have made this more clear...

"the first one looks really unfinished and the links on the side are all screwy. Second one looks more finished."
Mine didn't have any links on the side, and theirs was WAY more unfinished than mine, mostly because they didn't start until the week before it was due. To be honest though, they made it faster than me, because they had 2 people working on it, and they both had Dreamweaver. I personally hate Dreamweaver and did it all with NotePad.

The Flash intro was VERY slow, I have to agree, and I should have made an indicator of progress. But, I didn't have access to the server and previewed it only from my computer, so I had no idea the loading time was so high. I compressed the sound and lowered the picture quality for the state competition, since I have a window to edit the site.

I still don't have access to the server, but I put the new intro (compressed sound and lowered picture quality, and loading indicator) on my own Tripod site to preview the new loading time. Now, mine loads in 7 seconds on my computer (as compared to 26 for the old one), while theirs loads in 12 seconds. I also changed some of the alignments of a few pages (changed from right alignment to justified), and their was a bug in the 600x480 resolution, but besides that, nothing has changed.
http://ikilledsanta.tripod.com/FBLA/index.htm

zk0
02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I like site number two the most. :)

abrewitt
02-04-2007, 12:27 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmm, confusing links.... but deffo site number 2.

ikilledsanta
02-04-2007, 08:40 AM
This is very strange, because site #1 got first place, and #2 didn't even get top 3.

cryonic
02-04-2007, 02:59 PM
i like the ...fbla. which is the second one. ergh!@ it's almost confusing.
Anyway, i like the one with "midsummers night dream". Even tho it's still using tables but it's neat and simple.

Mhtml
02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Well, I voted for #2 by mistake... meant to vote for #1.
My reason? Looks or not, code counts and the amount of junk and the state of the code in #2 is terrible.

ikilledsanta
02-05-2007, 04:13 AM
Well, I voted for #2 by mistake... meant to vote for #1.
My reason? Looks or not, code counts and the amount of junk and the state of the code in #2 is terrible.

Yeah that's because they use Dreamweaver, which inserts a bunch of unnecessary code in there. The code is hard to edit, because it is different than I'm used to working with, and that's why I hate it.

I really can't believe you guys think #2 is better! My intro (#1) is bounds less boring, it has more content, and is more...eloquent than theirs (all the fading, in the intro, links, and character information flash), and it fits the topic so much better.

Mhtml
02-05-2007, 05:07 AM
But it's HUGE and even on broadband took quite a while to load. A quick synopsis would be much better IMO.

Karen S. Garvin
02-05-2007, 06:15 PM
The second I see "skip intro" on a flash site, I click! :rolleyes:

I'd much rather see the Flash as a separate thing I can activate when I want to view it, rather than have to sit through an unknown length presentation. :mad:

Sorry, but really cruddy and useless Flash animations have soured me to the experience, so I tend to skip them all -- even the good ones. Just a pet peeve...

Shoot2Kill
02-06-2007, 01:05 AM
The second I see "skip intro" on a flash site, I click! :rolleyes:

I'd much rather see the Flash as a separate thing I can activate when I want to view it, rather than have to sit through an unknown length presentation. :mad:

Sorry, but really cruddy and useless Flash animations have soured me to the experience, so I tend to skip them all -- even the good ones. Just a pet peeve...
What He Said... ^ ^

Dont you love the <|SKIP INTRO|> Button.. :D:D:D

Evan
04-10-2007, 05:25 AM
You forgot to mention what the prompt was that you were required to build the website on. This would have been useful so that we could determine which of the entries pertains more accurately to the prompt; as this is how the judges look at your website...

Anyways, here it is:

Your local community playhouse has approached your FBLA chapter to develop a Web site to promote its upcoming production (insert name of production). You should include a brief synopsis of the play, description of the cast, general details (e.g., schedule, ticket sales, directions), and information on becoming a patron/donor of your playhouse. You may substitute the drama productions at your school for the community playhouse. (Information presented may also be fictitious.)

Also, be careful were you post; you may just be feeding the competition. ;)

Good luck though... And if you win state, see you in Chicago at Nationals!

Sincerely,
The 2007 FBLA State Champion - Website Development

ikilledsanta
05-20-2007, 08:22 PM
You forgot to mention what the prompt was that you were required to build the website on. This would have been useful so that we could determine which of the entries pertains more accurately to the prompt; as this is how the judges look at your website...

Anyways, here it is:

Also, be careful were you post; you may just be feeding the competition. ;)

Good luck though... And if you win state, see you in Chicago at Nationals!

Sincerely,
The 2007 FBLA State Champion - Website Development

Yeah we won 1st, in Florida. You're right, I should have put in the prompt, but I figured they wouldn't read it anyway (I wouldn't have).

See you in Chicago, good luck.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum