View Full Version : Alternate name for 'Links' page?

murphyz
11-26-2002, 09:46 PM
One of the options on my pull down menu leads to a page that has links to the following areas of my site:

FAQ - frequently asked questions
Related Links - Links to sites whose content is related to that in my site
Missing Links - Where readers can submit links of their own if they feel their content is similar
Thanks & Accolades - Giving thanks to those people who helped with this site, listing any awards I may win for the site in the future, disclaimers and so on.
I may also put a link for a site map here.

At present, the drop down menu option is called 'Links' but I don't think this is an appropriate name for the actual content the page has.

Any idea what I could use instead?

Mxx

PlatinumProject
11-26-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by murphyz

At present, the drop down menu option is called 'Links' but I don't think this is an appropriate name for the actual content the page has.

Any idea what I could use instead?

Mxx

wat do u mean?
you want to know a different name for the word link to best suit your topic of that page?
than y not

FAQ -leave it
Related Sites- Links to sites whose content is related to that in my site
Missing Links(other sites) - (i don't know what this has to do with ppl posting there links )Where readers can submit links of their own if they feel their content is similar
Thanks & Accolades (site credits)- Giving thanks to those people who helped with this site, listing any awards I may win for the site in the future, disclaimers and so on.
Site map

is this the stuff you want?

The Wizzard
11-27-2002, 01:32 AM
"Site Map" would work good.

zoobie
11-27-2002, 05:12 AM
If you have sites linking to you (incoming), try to put them at the bottom of your index page, too. No sense boosting ranking for your "similar sites" page. :cool:

murphyz
11-27-2002, 10:35 AM
sorry for the bad explanation - I just need one word as an alternate to 'links' which covers the topics mentioned.

My menu looks like this
http://www.geocities.com/murphyz_mike/pages/nav.htm
and under the 'content' dropdown I have 'links' as the last option. That's what I want to change.

The page it leads to contains the things mentioned above - from FAQ to Site Map.

Mxx

duniyadnd
11-27-2002, 11:25 AM
Other
Miscellaneous
Etc.

Duniyadnd

ionsurge
11-27-2002, 12:01 PM
I looked up the word link on the thesaurus, and got this:

Entry: link
Function: noun
Definition: connection
Synonyms: articulation, association, attachment, bond, channel, component, connective, constituent, contact, copula, coupler, coupling, division, element, fastening, hitch, hookup, in, interconnection, interface, intersection, joining, joint, junction, knot, ligament, ligation, ligature, loop, member, network, nexus, part, piece, relationship, ring, seam, section, splice, tie, tie-up, vinculum, weld, yoke
Concept: joining

Entry: link
Function: verb
Definition: connect
Synonyms: associate, attach, bind, bracket, combine, conjoin, conjugate, couple, fasten, group, hitch on, hook up, identify, incorporate, interface, join, meld with, network, plug into, relate, slap on, tack on, tag along, tag on, tie, unite, yoke
Concept: joining

Entry: adjoin
Definition: link
Synonyms: abut, approximate, border, butt, communicate, connect, join, lie, lie beside, link, neighbor, touch, verge
Antonyms: detach, disconnect, divide, separate, unlink
Concept: proximity
Source: Roget's Interactive Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.0.0)

Entry: adjoin
Definition: attach
Synonyms: add, affix, annex, append, combine, connect, couple, impinge, interconnect, join, link, unite
Antonyms: detach, disconnect, disjoin, separate, unfasten
Concept: attachment

Entry: annex
Definition: add
Synonyms: adjoin, affix, append, appropriate, appropriate, associate, attach, connect, fasten, hitch on, hitch up, hook on, hook up, join, link, slap on, subjoin, tack on, tag, tag on, take on, take over, unite
Antonyms: detach, disconnect, separate
Concept: joining physically

Entry: articulate
Definition: connect
Synonyms: concatenate, couple, fit together, hinge, integrate, join, link
Antonyms: disconnect
Concept: joining physically

Entry: associate
Definition: link
Synonyms: affiliate, blend, bracket, combine, concord, conjoin, connect, correlate, couple, group, identify, join, league, link, lump together, mix, pair, relate, unite, yoke
Antonyms: disassociate, separate, disconnect, divide, part
Concept: relating

Entry: attach
Definition: join
Synonyms: add, adhere, affix, annex, append, bind, connect, couple, fasten, fix, hitch, hook, latch, link, make fast, prefix, rivet, secure, slap on, stick, tag on, tie, unite
Antonyms: detach, loosen, free, disconnect, separate, unfasten
Concept: attachment

Entry: attachment
Definition: fastening
Synonyms: adapter, bond, clamp, connection, connector, coupling, fastener, joint, junction, link, tie
Antonyms: detachment, separation
Concept: minor part

Entry: band
Definition: circle
Synonyms: bandage, bandeau, belt, binding, bond, braid, cable, chain, circle, circuit, copula, cord, fillet, harness, hoop, ligature, line, link, manacle, ribbon, ring, rope, sash, scarf, shackle, snood, stay, strap, string, strip, tape, tie, truss

Hope that helps.

Ionsurge.

Borgtex
11-27-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ionsurge
I looked up the word link on the thesaurus

lol. Copy & paste, I suppose :D

My suggestions:

Quick access
main
General

murphyz
11-27-2002, 05:23 PM
I do hope it was copy and paste, not sit there typing from a book.

'General' may be a possibility, I really can't decide.

Hopefully if I continue with the rest of the site something may pop into mind.

Mxx

redhead
11-27-2002, 10:17 PM
"portal" is an alright alternative to "links"...

ionsurge
11-28-2002, 07:18 AM
Yeah it was a copy and paste off www.thesaurus.com lol.

Not even I could be bothered to type that much... ;)

I like portal too (readhead's suggestion).

Ionsurge.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum