View Full Version : sql vs sequel - pronounciation poll

hessodreamy
01-12-2007, 04:00 PM
Quick question:
Who pronounces it 'sequel' and who says 's-q-l'??
I've always been 's-q-l', but I'm always worried that I'll be judged for my choice. Like in a job interview or something. :)

Brandoe85
01-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Depends, if I'm talking sql server (the dbms) I pronounce it "sequel server", if I'm talking about the scripting I call it sql. :)

hessodreamy
01-12-2007, 04:21 PM
According to wikipedia: "MySQL is officially and commonly pronounced 'My Ess Cue El'". Whereas MsSql is 'is commonly spoken as Microsoft-sequel-server'

JamieR
01-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I say "S-Q-L". As in "mySQL" "S-Q-L Server" etc...

marek_mar
01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
I say SQL, though I never had to say it while speaking english.

ralph l mayo
01-12-2007, 06:30 PM
FWIW the trend where I work seems to be strongly towards "sequel" for everything but "postgres" which mercifully dodges the whole issue

vinyl-junkie
01-12-2007, 07:05 PM
I pronounce it "sequel." One thing that really bugs me though is pronouncing MySQL as "My-Sequel." That to me is just plain wrong. It should be "My S-Q-L." 'Nuff said. :p

whizard
01-12-2007, 07:31 PM
sequel.

There was another way to refer to it?
:D

btw, a little worried here, how do the percentages add up to more than 100% in the poll?

:confused:

Dan

guelphdad
01-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Maybe it is a sports poll. You know how they say they have to give 110%.:D

whizard
01-12-2007, 07:45 PM

This poll is totally whacked!

11 voters, and the tally stands 7-5 in favor of S-Q-L..

VOTER FRAUD DISCOVERED ON CF, EXPERTS SAY HITS MINORITIES, CHILDREN HARDEST

WE need voter ID's!

Dan

Graft-Creative
01-12-2007, 07:49 PM
but I'm always worried that I'll be judged for my choice. Like in a job interview... :)

Interviewer: So tell me about you experience with S-Q-L?
hessodreamy: Well, I'm really good at S-Q-L because...

Interviewer: So tell me about you experience with sequel?
hessodreamy: Well, I'm really good at sequel because...

easy :)

Personally I always call it S-Q-L, but then I'm no programmer!

Gary

oracleguy
01-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I pronounce it "sequel." One thing that really bugs me though is pronouncing MySQL as "My-Sequel." That to me is just plain wrong. It should be "My S-Q-L." 'Nuff said. :p

Basically thats what I do as well. And it bugs me to when people say My-Sequel, it just sounds wrong.

Len Whistler
01-12-2007, 11:07 PM
This is a good question and something I have thought about, I emailed mysql.com to get their answer and they replied very quickly and referred me to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL#Pronunciation

"MySQL" is officially pronounced as "My Ess Queue Ell" [maɪ ɛs kjuː ɛl], not "My sequel" [maɪ siːkwəl]. However, the company does not take issue with the pronunciation "My sequel" or other local variations."

vinyl-junkie
01-13-2007, 07:01 PM
btw, a little worried here, how do the percentages add up to more than 100% in the poll?

Dan
Rounding error. Or probably more accurately, the vBulletin coders aren't very good at math. :D

oracleguy
01-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Rounding error. Or probably more accurately, the vBulletin coders aren't very good at math. :D

It's fuzzy math (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/fuzzymath.php)! lol

vinyl-junkie
01-13-2007, 07:11 PM
It's fuzzy math (http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/fuzzymath.php)! lol
Yep, definitely. :D

I was trying to edit my post as you were posting, but did you notice? It says there are 14 votes. Erm, 6 + 10 = 14, right? :D

felgall
01-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Well when you write it you should always put SQL since that is how it is spelt. When you are talking to someone about it then if they call it sequel first then call it sequel, if they aren't an experielced programmer then you are probably best to call it ess-que-ell because they probably wont be familiar with the term sequel. I usally call it ess-que-ell because it was about 15 years after I first started using it before I ever heard it called sequel.

GJay
01-14-2007, 10:32 AM

It's possible to vote for both options

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum