View Full Version : How to use activeX functions in javascript

kenia
01-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Hi there!
I'm new to activeX controls so yet I don't know much of how to work with them.
I need to know how to use the functions contained in an activeX control when coding in javascript. I mean, can I pass a javascript string, integer or even a Date to any function of the activeX?
What if I need an activeX function to store results in an output parameter, how do I pass that parameter in javacript?
If someone knows something about this topic that can help me, I will appreciate it.
Thanks

A1ien51
01-04-2007, 04:09 PM
And there are billions of ActiveX controls, which specific one are you talking about?

Eric

kenia
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Hi Eric,
I'm talking about an activeX control I'll program myself.
That's the point, I know I'll need to store results in output parameters when programming the activeX functions, and as you must know when a function returns by parameters you have to pass a variable for it to store the result, now the question is, if I'm using the function from Javascript what type of variable should I pass as the output parameter? If it were in C++ it would be easy, I'd just pass a pointer and that's it, but as far as I know, there are no pointers in javascript, are they?
So I hope this clarifies the topic and if you still got any ideas.... please let me know.
Thanks.

felgall
01-04-2007, 09:02 PM
ActiveX only works in Internet Explorer and IE7 only has limited access to run ActiveX due to the hundreds of security holes created by existing ActiveX functions. To ensure that your activeX control will run after you finish creating it you will need to adjust the browser settings on each computer that is to access it in order to ensure that the browser knows that it is allowed to run that particular control.

Basscyst
01-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Depending on what your intentions are, you can pretty freely use active x controls within an hta application.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/overview/htaoverview.asp

Basscyst

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum