View Full Version : input type="edit" - what??

11-25-2002, 10:55 AM
Well, I gotta admit I thought my HTML was pretty fluent. But, looking through someone else's old code this morning, I've found a form tag I never even knew existed.

I dunno what Netscape, Opera or anthing else does, but if you make an input type="edit" in IE6, you get a text box. Now, I've looked on w3c.org and on msdn, and I can't find a single reference to it anywhere.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that's a bit... odd?

11-25-2002, 01:37 PM
I would have to agree ther SpudHead,
Can you give me the url to that page,, id like to see this :D

11-25-2002, 02:29 PM
I've certainly never heard of it. I think it's more likely that input type="anything_unknown" will produce a text box, because that's the default form input when you don't specify a type at all

11-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Having indulged in a programme of intensive further testing, I think you're right - either that or:

<input type="spudhead">

is secret M$ code for text boxes.

ps - ACJavascript, I'd love to but I'd have to give you a login that costs registered members several hundred quid a year* and then, obviously, I'd have to kill you ;)

*no, it's not one of those sites...

11-25-2002, 05:54 PM
There is another possibility though - that page where you saw it might have been doing something special on the server, for which that input type had a specific meaning.

can't think of anything offhand though

11-25-2002, 11:55 PM
HAHAA,, Thats fine i realy don't feal like dying just yet LOL :D:D