View Full Version : Popups in IE

12-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Ok, I am a web developer kinda who uses the Mac operating system. My browser of choice is Camino (firefox) so thats what I usually end up testing on.
Today, i booted up parallels (windows) and tested out one of my sites in IE6.

My popup code uses window.open(blah,blah,blah)

the code has errors in it accoring to IE. I can't give more details than that because I simply don't know what is wrong. Here is the site:

click on one of the clips to open up the popup.. it should work in everything except for IE...

so, what is wrong... how do i fix it?

12-29-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi there neutrino15,

and a warm welcome to these forums. ;)

IE does not like the whitespace here...

<a href="javascript:openWindow('SoundFiles/Swallow.html', 'Harvey Citron Enterprises', 'height=50, width=300, toolbar=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=no, resizable=no, location=no, directories=no, status=no')">Steve Swallow</a>

...change it to something like this...

...or this...

12-29-2006, 08:24 PM
The argument you're seeing/sending as a title is the NAME of the window, as addressable via script. As such, spaces don't work very well.

12-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Wow! You're right! I never noticed that bug in IE before...
It's a stupid little thing, too! I guess in IE you can't have a space in the name of the window. Thus just change it to:

openWindow('SoundFiles/Give_Thanx.html', 'HarveyCitronEnterprises', 'height=50, width=300, toolbar=no, menubar=no, scrollbars=no, resizable=no, location=no, directories=no, status=no')

Go figure... :angry: Maybe IE 7 will be nicer...

12-29-2006, 09:11 PM
WOW... just wow..

People really need to switch AWAY from ie.. I wish that some large company like google would put a switch to firefox button on their homepage...

thanks tho!!!

12-29-2006, 09:24 PM
TBH I think IE is doing the right thing. Think about it would put a space in the name attribute of an input element? Not likely. Would you create a variable in javascript that was more than one word? Not likely. If you did the script would probably fail.