View Full Version : Is there a way to "round" CSS buttons?

JWGlenn
11-24-2002, 05:26 PM
Is there a way to make rounded buttons using CSS? I was able to make rectangular buttons, but can rounded corners be implemented?

x_goose_x
11-24-2002, 06:52 PM
In mozilla you can use "-moz-border-radius", but if you want it crossbrowser you'll need to use images.

jkd
11-24-2002, 07:40 PM
border-radius is a property defined in the CSS3 Borders Spec (in Working Draft I believe).

Mozilla provides preliminary support through the vendor-specific prefix, -moz. No other browser does though, so like goose said, either use images or wait until CSS3 becomes Recommendation, then another 4 years for IE to implement it :rolleyes:.

zoobie
11-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Sure....with VML (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/VML/ref/adv3.asp?frame=true) for IE5+. A rounded rectangle with gradientRadial would look pretty cool as a button...or even an oval. Play around with the different shapes you wish and it'll display in over 90% of browsers used...Works for me. :D

x_goose_x
11-24-2002, 11:31 PM
Not gonna start a VML / SVG war, but take a look at SVG if you want to use vector drawings.

jkd
11-25-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by zoobie
and it'll display in over 90% of browsers used...Works for me. :D

I'm not going to begin explaining why VML has no future with SVG on the web, but this 90% figure is incorrect. When I used IE6 on Win98 I did not have VML support, and everytime I saw a page with VML, is asked me to download a 6mb update or something, which I was never going to do on my dialup.
IE + Windows does not necessarily mean VML.

zoobie
11-25-2002, 12:47 AM
I'm not wanting to start a war either because the users already won. I think SVG requires a plug-in whereas VML is included in IE5+. :D

VML works fine on my Win98 IE5, btw. :thumbsup:

Motif Webs
11-25-2002, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by jkd

I'm not going to begin explaining why VML has no future with SVG on the web, but this 90% figure is incorrect. When I used IE6 on Win98 I did not have VML support, and everytime I saw a page with VML, is asked me to download a 6mb update or something, which I was never going to do on my dialup.
IE + Windows does not necessarily mean VML. Works fine for me using IE 6 on Win98SE! Then again I've never thought of myself as part of the 90% of anything. :D

Neil

zoobie
11-25-2002, 08:17 AM
Don't like VML? If you have PHP, you could use a finetable (http://www.ingoknito.de/scripts/finetable/test_finetable.php) to make rounded buttons, too.

Ya gotta know this stuff if you're in the graphic arts...heh heh. :D :cool: :thumbsup: :p

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum