View Full Version : 3 Designs, which one is best, you choose!

ionsurge
11-24-2002, 01:23 PM
I would like you to rate these designs in terms of professionalism, layout, and design.

I want you to choose which one you like the best, and vote for it.

Remember, this will be for a very large site, like Yahoo! and MSN. So, I want you to take into consideration the possibilities for menus, searching, customizability, speed, etc.

www.ionsurge.com
www.ionsurge.com/test
www.angelfire.com/empire/horizon

Thank you.

Ionsurge.

ionsurge
11-24-2002, 01:27 PM
By the way, can you please not post fixes for code, this thread is solely to be associated with the design.

Thank you.

Ionsurge.

redhead
11-24-2002, 03:18 PM
i'd lose the no select script...

ionsurge
11-25-2002, 06:14 AM
Yeah, it is gonna go, I was using it while I was designing it. That is why it is so heavily commented.

That will go.

I think I can get rid of it now... yeah I will do that now.

By the way, why do you guys like www.angelfire.com/empire/horizon so much? What does it have that you like so much? I am not questioning your response, as to say why not like the other two, but I am asking how does that one stand out above the other two?

Ionsurge.

Borgtex
11-25-2002, 10:27 AM
The colors of the first two are death, low contrasted. In the third you used a bit more bright color, that makes the design a bit (still not enough) more clear; also text is easily readable and different sections are well defined & structured

ionsurge
11-25-2002, 10:47 AM
Yeah I get what you mean.

Ionsurge.

Mhtml
11-26-2002, 11:28 AM
Hmmm....Still thinking of what your secret plan could be..:)

I am thinking about creating a high level content site like yahoo, msn etc.. It is going to be for the local community which is only 6000 or so people and almost all are connected to net so I plan to make a huge site which is like I said similar to yahoo and msn but only for my local area..Possibly then get contracts to do it for other areas.

You are probably thinking, this guy talks to much about what he is doing, he thinks he is soooo great...BUT I'm going somewhere with this.:)

Think about Yahoo, MSN and to a lesser extent Lycos. What are they? More grabbers! They pull in incredible amounts of money without doing much work, they set it up so that the people create the chat rooms the people create forum threads, web-rings, homepages etc...so because of this they have lots and lots of money with limited expenditure. THEY HAVE TO SPEND IT ON SOMETHING! And...that something is LAYOUT, INFRASTRUCTURE, Ease of Navigation, quick loading.. All the things you want. So take a look at how they have the layout where things are positioned why they are there why not here? They pay a lot of money to get these things right so they can keep the visitors coming back for more so just follow there lead and jot down things about there layout where and why and even better layouts it will make it work trust me. I have the perfect layout and colors. I could give you my things I jotted down but then you have no fun.

So you may not have money to employ people to manage a large website like they do and create a well targeted layout just leech of them.

I like the gray better...but in my opinion none of them suit. Not saying they are crap, just possibly not as good as they could be.

ionsurge
11-26-2002, 12:11 PM
I am thinking of getting a serious pro to design it for me... I am just waiting to see how much they will charge.

If it is too much, I may leave it to the grey one then - but I will change the appearance somewhat. You will see over the next few days change.

Ionsurge.

cg9com
11-26-2002, 04:02 PM
i voted the ionsurge.com

although in my browser at work there is a horizontal scrolbar, its barely needed but its there (ie5)

allida77
11-26-2002, 08:02 PM
I voted for number 2. I think it has some potential if you maybe added color to each component. If the content is the focus on your site I would "color coat" each component and leave your header the color it is now. On your left menu the news section could be a shade of red and then in your main content all your news boxes will be the same red.

undyingfires
11-26-2002, 08:08 PM
It's me, but I liked www.ionsurge.com out of all, however, I liked the rollover colour you had for the third site instead of the underline and the nav being 'snug' against the left window-side could be moved over slightly? :)

thickandthin
11-26-2002, 08:26 PM
i thinks the angelfire one (the third one) because your other ones lack color!

undyingfires
11-26-2002, 08:53 PM
your other ones lack color!
I agree.. :o

ionsurge
11-27-2002, 06:28 AM
I will change them, and add more colours. The one that was a purpley colour has been taken off, because it just doesn't work well with an 800x600 res, and it makes it look really crappy.

The gray one - well that was and is not completely finished, as the purpley one was, in that there was no logo, which I am still working on.

Seeing as a lot of you dont like the idea that it is gray, then I will change it and mess around with the colours, so hopefully you should like in the end.

I will keep all of you posted, and hopefully the site ought to look professional and quick loading for all, even for those with a 14.4k modem.

By the way, the reason to me not using the blue one is that it is not suitable when it comes to playing online games, in that there is hardly any space to do anything due to the columns on the left and the right.

If I use a poll, or something else, I can easily add new tablet fields quickly, without losing much space, you will see what I mean as this site continues.

See, this is why I love this place, you get great opinions. Keep the comments coming, they are all being taken into account.

Ionsurge.

redhead
11-27-2002, 09:53 PM
just one question...

about the popular one, what happens to the sidebars when you put in more text than the height of the sidebars? i had a similar design and it just stretched them all and looked pretty rubbish...

PlatinumProject
11-28-2002, 01:58 AM
i think a combination of the three would be alrite other wise i don't know what to say i voted for #2
:thumbsup:

ionsurge
11-28-2002, 06:09 AM
@ Redhead.

The text will not be stretched, because the main frame is a seperate table. The menu is a another table, which you probably can gather from the source code.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like you all liked a mix of the three, as pp suggested. So... I will work on making it a mix between the three.

I don't know if I can start at it now, (it is 6.07am) so I may start on it later when I get back from the office.

YOUR OPPINIONS MATTER, SO PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!

Also, you may have noticed that www.ionsurge.com and /test are now almost the same (one is a slightly improved version), so I think the poll has sort of gone wrong, but that is my fault.

(I better ask if the mods can remove it...)

Thanks again all.

Ionsurge.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum