PDA

View Full Version : Beginner Help: Classes

aoberoi
12-24-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm just starting out to use PHP. I have version 4.4.4 that was preinstalled on my MacBook Pro. I want to know why this code does not produce what is expected:

<?php

class testClass {
$testvar;
$testvar2;

function myFunction() {
echo $testvar."</br>".$testvar2."</br>";
}

function setOne($str) {
$testvar = $str;
}

function setTwo($str) {
$testvar2 = $str;
}
}

$mycls = new testClass;

$mycls->setOne("hello");

?>

At this point, Dreamweaver stops highlighting the syntax. This seems to happen right after the "->" operator. Then when I try to view the page in my browser, and all i get is:

setOne("hello"); ?>

it seems that for some reason the "->" ends the php script. Is there something I'm not understanding about the way classes work? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

ess
12-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Here are a couple of things that I have noticed from your script.
1- When you declare variables in a class, you should use the var keyword. This is only applicable to PHP4, in PHP5, you should state whether a variable is public, or private instead of using keyword var.
2- When referring to a variable declared in a class, you should use $this->variable_name

Here is a very simple class I have written to explain this further.

<?php
class Person {
var $name; // instance variable to hold person's name
var $age; // instance variable to hold person's age

// class constructor
function Person( $name, $age ) {
// when referring to instance variable $name, we use $this->name
$this->name = $name;
$this->age = $age;
}

function toString() {
return "<b>Name: </b>" . $this->name . "<br><b>Age: </b>" . $this->age;
}

}
// create a new instance of type Person
$person = new Person( "John", "Smith" );
// output person by calling toString function/method
echo $person->toString();
?>

if there is any other question, please let's know.

good luck.

Ess

aoberoi
12-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks for your reply. I agree there were some errors in my code, and thank you for pointing them out.

When I copy and paste this code into a new html file, and place it between the body tags, saving it as test.html, I still get an unexpected output:

name $this->name = $name; $this->age = $age; } function toString() { return "Name: " . $this->name . "
Age: " . $this->age; } } // create a new instance of type Person $person = new Person( "John", "Smith" ); // output person by calling toString function/method echo $person->toString(); ?>

I still see the problem with the "->" operator. It seems like its ending my php script. Is there something wrong with the way I put this script into an html page?

Thanks.

aoberoi
12-25-2006, 01:31 AM
So apparently if I save the file as a .php file it produces the right output.

My question is can I not have any PHP script run in a file that isnt marked with the PHP extension? Is this something I must control using the server settings? If so, and I'm using apache, where would I find these settings in the httpd.conf?

Crimsonjade
12-25-2006, 01:55 AM
I think this should work:

AddType application/x-httpd-php4 .html

It may be slightly different for you, so look for the AddType line in your httpd.conf file that allows files of type .php to run.