View Full Version : the 5px space from hell! Go away!

johnnyblotter
12-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi people,

For the love of all that is holy, there is a small space at the bottom of the screen in IE6 that I cannot remove and that is throwing off my layout. I thought I'd live with it but I can't. I'm posting screenshots and relevant css. There is something I am missing and I can't seem to figure it out. If you know, please help my sanity! Thank you!

code block problem possibility generator 1:

#everything{margin:0px auto;background-color:#fcfcfa;background-image:url(images/headness1.jpg);background-repeat:repeat;}

body{padding:0px;margin:0px;text-align:center;font-family:georgia,geneva,sans-serif;font-size:80%;line-height:1.6;}

#wrap{width:79%;margin:0px auto;text-align:left;border:1px solid black;background-color:#fcfcfa;}

/*how bout the border? hmmm*/

/*or maybe it's something here:(but it isn't the bottom padding. I checked.)*/

#rightnav{border-left:0px solid silver;float:right;width:28%;margin:0px;text-align:center;padding:1.5em 0em .5em 0em;}

/*I don't think it's this...*/
#footer{margin:0;padding:0;border-top:1px solid black;clear:both;}

I can't get it. Any ideas? Thanks! and check the picture for the explanation...

www.jontakiff.com

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Did you fix this? There is no gap at the bottom of the page for me in IE6.

johnnyblotter
12-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, someone just told me it's part of the IE area and there's nothing I can do. I don't know, though. I'm looking at other sites to try to see if it's just the IE layout.

codingmasta
12-22-2006, 08:09 PM
Lol, use a different browser

_Aerospace_Eng_
12-22-2006, 08:13 PM
That wasn't very helpful seeing as how you should be trying to get your page to look right on as many browsers as possible especially since a lot of users don't even know there are other browsers out there.

Arbitrator
12-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Well, I seem to have isolated what code is the source of the issue, but I canít explain why the issue is occurring. It seems to be related to the font-size and line-height declarations as applied to the body element.

The following work normally:

font-size: 80%; line-height: 1.6;
font-size: 104%;
font-size: 104%; line-height: 1.1;
line-height: 1.2;

The following result in the white‐space:

font-size: 80%;
font-size: 80%; line-height: 1.1;
line-height: 1.1;
neither

On another note: you can save yourself some CSS if you use * { margin: 0; padding: 0; } at the beginning of your style sheet instead of coding it over and over.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum