View Full Version : Designing A3 size Catalog for print

12-19-2006, 05:39 AM
I want to design a catalog of A3 size in Photoshop. Please gi'me any idea that how to design a catalog & how can I make it BEST for printing.

Karen S. Garvin
12-19-2006, 03:15 PM
Get yourself a page layout program to design the catalog. I'd recommend InDesign, as it's another Adobe product and works well with Photoshop. There's also a lot of support material out for it. You can also use QuarkXpress but I don't think it will import PSD files directly, so you'll have to save images as TIFF, EPS, or other generic file formats.

Don't get cheap and use programs like Publisher, because you'll pay the price in frustration. The program tries to do too much for you but doesn't give you a lot of control if you know what you're doing (like Word). Personally, I don't like software that tries to think for me, because it can't. But that's my opinion, and I've been doing page layout for 25 years.

Use Photoshop for what it's best at -- images. Photoshop isn't the best bet for typesetting AND it will make really, really, really big files. The type becomes rasterized if you flatten images -- and then you can't edit it. Also, your printer will hate you (I've worked for print shops for 20+ years). :eek: