View Full Version : Menu bar?

12-16-2006, 08:39 PM
I'm developing a page;
I would like the menu bar to reach the boundary on the right, without padding, because padding is hit and miss. Is there a way to have each of the link buttons automatically stretch, (maybe not a good analogy). Anyway, any suggestions.

12-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Since you are using a fixed-with footer img, could you just set the navcontainer div's width to 633px?

12-16-2006, 10:51 PM
To do what you’re asking, you would use the code below. It won’t work in Internet Explorer though.

ul { display: table; width: 100%; }
li { display: table-cell; }

You could float the list item elements, but then you’d need to set explicit widths on them. I don’t suppose that would be a problem though since you, again, already have a fixed‐width footer.

Alternatively, you could use percentage‐based widths, but then you’d need display: inline-block since you can’t set widths on normal inline elements. Internet Explorer doesn’t support it on elements that aren’t naturally inline and Firefox only supports it through a bugged proprietary implementation. I suppose switching to span elements instead of list item elements might work, but then that wouldn’t be as semantically correct.