View Full Version : Frameset Help - Center Page

SirKeats
12-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I've been tinkering with a page that uses framesets and can't seem to figure out how to center the entire page. Any time I try to enclose the frameset elements in anything (like a <div> or <table> or whatever) it causes the page to not load (just goes blank). I tried nesting the existing framesets in another frameset with a row and column width of 100% but the "align" tag doesn't seem to work for framesets.

I'm new to framesets so apologies for not knowing more about them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mr J
12-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Create a page with an iframe and center the iframe.

Make your frameset page the source of the iframe

Using frames this way is not really recommended as problems with navigation, search engines, accessability etc may crop up.

SirKeats
12-15-2006, 08:57 PM
thanks for the tip!

i would like to make the page as compatible as possible. do you have an alternate suggestion?

what i'm looking for is a two row, two column, page where only the bottom right cell (main body) scrolls and where the scroll bar for this cell is the browser's scroll bar (as opposed to being on the frame itself).

i tried to find a basic template like this to work off of and the one using the framesets was all i could find.

thanks again!

Arbitrator
12-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Let me guess; you want something like this (http://jsg.byethost4.com/demos/pseudoframe.html)?†
†If you’re using Internet Explorer, the demo requires version 7.

SirKeats
12-15-2006, 11:05 PM
that's it!

this doesn't work in older version of IE though? (i'm using firefox so it worked fine for me)

harbingerOTV
12-16-2006, 01:30 AM
you can make older IE do it with some trickery. Search around for position:fixed and there are a lot of threads about it. best to feed an alternate style sheet for IE older than 7 as there are some quirks in those browsers.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum