View Full Version : Hidden <h> tags

vinny388
12-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Just been looking at a site and noticed something rather strange in the source code. The weird bit is in bold. This <h3> tag does not show up in the website, neither does the <h4>tag. Surely this is classed as hidden text, or am I missing something?

<div id="wintersharedbg">
<h2>Hosting</h2>
<!--<h3>Hosting so flexible, it's bound to fit</h3>-->
<ul>
<li>Fully featured</li>
<li>Windows &amp; Linux</li>
<li>Free setup &amp; .uk domain</li>
<li>No annual contract</li>
<li>Instant activation</li>
<li><strong>&pound;50</strong> of Google AdWords</li>
</ul>

<h4><span>From just &pound;5.95 a month, get upto 3 months free.</span></h4>
</div>

harbingerOTV
12-15-2006, 01:10 PM
the h3 shouldnt since it's commented out but the h4 shuld unles something in the css tells it hide.

as for t being hidden text. might be a fine line. depends on if they do that on everypage as if to purposely hide more key words.

ahallicks
12-15-2006, 05:14 PM
The coeder could have, for example, set h4 to display: none; for some reason... and yeah, the first one is only a comment so wouldn't show up on a page.

Graft-Creative
12-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Doubt it's a case of keyword spamming, the wording is too naturalistic.

How do you mean: the h4 doesn't show up? Maybe they used an image replacement method (http://www.stopdesign.com/articles/replace_text/)

..fairly common practice these days.

Gary

Carradee
12-15-2006, 05:58 PM
It might be a piece of coding they don't want to appear yet or that they've used previously, will use again, but don't want now; turning it that one h3 into a comment (that's what the "<!--" and "-->" are doing) and/or setting h4 to not display are leaving the code in there for later use, evidently.

-'Dee

croatiankid
12-15-2006, 09:38 PM
My first thought was black hat SEO, but since it's a comment I think it wouldn't do any good. black hat SEO usually involves keywords in the content of the page, but set to display:none

Graft-Creative
12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
My first thought was black hat SEO, but since it's a comment I think it wouldn't do any good. black hat SEO usually involves keywords in the content of the page, but set to display:none
Nah, this example has never seen Black-hat. There's not enough juicy keywords within the < h> tags: 'hosting' and 'free' are the only valuable ones I can see - I reckon it's all perfectly innocent :)

Black-hat wouldn't use well written, choppy wording like that - it'd be chock full of keywords within < a> tags.

Gary

vinny388
12-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Just never noticed this before and found it a little strange.

Yes, the site does use a lot of images, and yes some of these images appear on page where the <h> tags appear in the source code.

Is there any value in this? I mean, yes images look nice, but if the <h> tags are not visible 'on page' then surely they aren't really working for the site.

VIPStephan
12-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Look at http://csszengarden.com, they replaced the headlnes with images on a lot of designs. The value of this is that you can have nice images for the "normal" viewers (computer screen) and, for example, a print stylesheet that is printing the headlines, not the images, and you'll still have an accessible website that can be read with handheld devices or screen readers.

Graft-Creative
12-17-2006, 08:43 PM
if the <h> tags are not visible 'on page' then surely they aren't really working for the site.

Well, yes they are - they are giving the code a semantically correct structure and order.

Image replacement techniques, IMO, are some of the greatest tools in the persual of seperating content from presentation.

Gary

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum