View Full Version : Div minimum height

11-22-2002, 10:59 PM
I have been having some problems with div's latley. To be honest, the site I am experimenting with currently, is my first ever site to incorporate div's. The problem I am running into is when I try and set the height of my div's. For really big div's I have no problem, but when I try to set a div's height smaller than something like 30px it just stays at a height somewhere around 30px. I don't notice any change at all in the size of the div when I set it's height to something less than 30 or so pixels.

Here is my code--I tried to keep it simple enough for an example:

<title>Trying div's</title>
<style type="text/css">
.bigline {position: absolute; top: 50px; height: 200px; background-color: #000000; width: 100%;}
.smallline {position: absolute; top: 260px; height: 5px; background-color: #FFFFFF; width: 100%;}
<body bgcolor="#999999">
<div class="bigline"></div>
<div class="smallline"></div>

I also have one last question: is it bad to use too many divs? Right now I am planning on having something like 7 or so div's at max (this is a totally experimental project mind you) and I wasn't sure if using div's is something that I should try and limit.

11-22-2002, 11:20 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with using many div's.
You can set the maximum/minimum width/height with;
min-width, min-height, max-width, max-height

11-23-2002, 12:19 AM
you can't make the height of the div smaller than the size of the font. Try using: font-size: 0px;

11-23-2002, 12:30 AM
Brilliant, absolutley brilliant. It worked like a charm! One question though, I had searched the w3.org site before posting (though not incredibley rigorously) and I didn't find anything that explained the whole can't be smaller than font size thing. Maybe it is just a common sense or trial-and-error thing, but how did you come across that knowledge? Seeing as I am going to use div's a lot more for the time being, it might be nice to have a reference site (if that is how you found out your info) to look at.

Thanks a lot!!

11-23-2002, 02:08 AM
If you use "overflow: hidden" you can size the div however you want without worrying about font sizes.

11-23-2002, 06:41 AM
Had thought about using overflow, but wasn't sure if older browsers supported it. If so, go ahead use either.

I found more or less by trial and error. Just playing around with spans and divs.

11-23-2002, 06:41 PM
But doesn't overflow cause the user to not be able to scroll the page? Or is that just overflow-x and overflow-y?

Quiet Storm
11-23-2002, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I think 'overflow' is just for showing the scrollbars...

11-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by pardicity3
But doesn't overflow cause the user to not be able to scroll the page? Or is that just overflow-x and overflow-y?

Only if applied to the <body> element.